t
S
m
s
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Here's what will happen with methane and UV
Don't count on that doing anything effective. We use the product "Drano". It'll unclog any pipe, it might actually help to try.

That is good example, if I use UV Light treatment to kill bacteria, but not able to break down methane, so when I still smell methane after treatment, I can confirm that there is a leaking of sewer gas from external sources.

Thanks, to everyone very much for suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
Tell us what happens with the Drano treatment if you end up trying. I'm interested myself for future reference...
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Tell us what happens with the Drano treatment if you end up trying. I'm interested myself for future reference...

This Brand Drano is not available on local market, I already try following products, but the sales mention that if urine stone is too large within sewer pipe, such as popular shopping mall, then there is no way to dissolve them. 

For external pipe, it cannot be seen and not under my control, as long as water can drain properly, then I use following to block any sewer gas and make sure and confirm that sewer gas is not coming from specific location in order to confirm any leaking.

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
This Brand Drano is not available on local market, I already try following products, but the sales mention that if urine stone is too large within sewer pipe, such as popular shopping mall, then there is no way to dissolve them.

If it's not available, read the ingredients of products that are offered. If any of them contain sodium hydroxide, buy that one. You need to try several different solutions to make sure you know the source of your problem.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Urine stone remover is acidic based, but sodium hydroxide is alkaline based.  How do they react differently on cleaning?

Without UV Light treatment at this moment, I place a piece of toilet paper on the floor and fill it with urine stone remover for 10 minutes and clean floor with water, after 1 day monitoring, there is less smell at this moment, but I still need to monitor a few days.

I think on above process, which urine stone remover remove the food for bacteria, so bacteria cannot grow and the smell is less.

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago Edited: 4 years ago, bio_man
Urine stone remover is acidic based, but sodium hydroxide is alkaline based.  How do they react differently on cleaning?

You're using the wrong product. Urine stone remover, I'm assuming, is something that removes limestone or calcium buildup. The reaction that occurs when you mix Drano and water is completely different. When added to water, the sodium hydroxide, aluminum and nitrate react to produce heat. This then ends up dissolving the hair, soap scum, and other debris.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
When sodium hydroxide react to produce heat, would it give off toxic gas?

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago
It's neutralized by sodium nitrate. Nothing smelly
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Acidic Based : removes limestone or calcium buildup
Alkaline Based : removes hair, soap scum, and other debris

Can acidic based remove soap scum as well?
Maybe I need to use both approach for completely cleaning process.

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
Alkaline Based : removes hair, soap scum, and other debris

The heat produced by the reaction with water does, not the chemical itself.

Can acidic based remove soap scum as well? Maybe I need to use both approach for completely cleaning process.

I personally don't think it's calcium buildup. The smell is coming from the U-pipe not doing its job. Need to use Drano.

OR, you could try using I use a plunger, small drain snake, or large drain snake to push out the debris
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
4 years ago

Good luck, and update us with the solution that worked for you.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
4 years ago
After acidic based treatment, there is no smell close to 90%, so it proved that there is not an external leaking issue, since there is no foods for bacteria.  For ongoing process, UV Light treatment would be used weekly to remove bacteria. 

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
Wait a moment, the acidic solution may only be masking the smell, not remove its source. If the results don't change after a week, then it's fixed. Appreciate the update!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  986 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 156

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?