t
i
r
r
Mateyman Mateyman
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
4 years ago
I mentioned before that I was working on pollution impact on the tundra ecosystem. Basically I submitted my outline and the feedback I got from my TA was that I was focusing too much on direct effects of pollution on the organisms and not the ecosystem as a whole.

For example I was focusing on how oil spills cause soil pollution and kills plants but I failed to mention the indirect effects of the plants dying and how the plants dying effects the tundra ecosystem as a whole.

My TA gave me examples of those "indirect effects" or ecological effects such as, what herbivores rely on plants that are getting harmed by pollution,  are the plans involved in biogeochemical cycling (nitrogen, carbon dioxide, methane) and if so then how are these processes affected when plants are being harmed. Other indirect effects he game me were things such as soil stabilization and how the tundra ecosystem operates without soil stabilization.

I come to here to ask for some more clarity on this.

1: Any other indirect effects/ecological effects I should consider when looking at pollution overall impact on tundra? Like when I read the primary literature I will def be looking at the examples my TA gave me like biogeochemical cycling, herbivores relying on plants, soil stabilization, etc... But if you got other suggestions let me know!

2: The issue I have right now is that I finally have the proper primary literature that goes over direct effects of pollution (oil spills, seismic testing, mercury) on tundra organisms but I can't find in those same sources indirect/ecological effects on other organisms or the ecosystem as a whole so how do you recommend I solve this issue? I feel like I can find separate articles that deal with direct effects of plants dying on herbivores or plants dying on soil but no way I can find article that covers pollution on tundra. I can find direct effects of pollution on animals that live in tundra but its tough to go from their on how other animals are impacted by this. If anyone got suggestions for me to approach this then lmk!
Read 180 times
7 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
4 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 410 words.

Related Topics

Mateyman Author
wrote...
4 years ago
This def gives me more ideas for sure, thank you for this! I think I was focusing too much on finding an article that 1) talks about pollution 2) talks about impact of pollution on tundra 3) talks about impact of pollution on tundra on a specific species 4) talks about impact of pollution on tundra on a specific species and how that specific species effects another specific species or the ecosystem as a whole..

Instead I am going to look for different articles and then make the connection.

Would you say its okay to look for an article that goes over how plants help out with soil stabilization not necessarily in the tundra but somewhere else on the plant and then I can reference it and make the connection in tundra? For example "oil spills causes plants to die in tundra (here I would cite a source to back this up) and because we know that plants help in soil stabilization (here I would cite a source that backs up plants do in fact help out in soil stabilization and the source doesn't have to be in tundra because this processes is assumed to be the same across earth) and therefore because oil spills kill plants and plants are involved in soil stabilization this not only impacts the plants but also impacts the soil" What you think? Here I used a source to proof that human pollution in form of oil spills is evident in tundra and then referenced another source that is not in the tundra that shows how plants help out in soil stabilization and made the connection.
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Precisely, my friend, doing this will make you an excellent writer and better than the rest. When you make connections, you create ideas and hypotheses that, while haven't been tested, are possible answers to problems that we don't have answers to. So when you connect ideas from unrelated research, you're building connections that technically cannot be refuted, but are possible.
Mateyman Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Your awesome thank you

My follow up question is do I have to find exact names? For example I found effects of crude oil spills on aquatic insects that causes them to die. The aquatic insects are called Asynarchus and Micrasema

If I want to link effect of insects on ecosystem do I have to find articles that specifically mention Micrasema and Asynarchus or something as general as aquatic insects will do and I can make connection there?

wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
If I want to link effect of insects on ecosystem do I have to find articles that specifically mention Micrasema and Asynarchus or something as general as aquatic insects will do and I can make connection there?

No, but you can use that as an example of insects being sensitive to the toxic effects of oil spills. Doesn't even have to be in reference to organisms living in the tundra! You're doing the right thing here...
Mateyman Author
wrote...
4 years ago
Also, my TA brought up good examples and potential ecological effects of plants dying would do on the ecosystem such as nutrient cycling, soil stabilization, or other predators that rely on plants.

In regards to aquatic insects, do you have any specific ecological effects you recommend? Personally only predators that rely on aquatic insects as prey comes to mind, but if you have others suggestions let me know!
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
What's that process whereby toxins accumulate as you go up in the food chain? -- bioaccumulation?

You could talk about that
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1052 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352