t
S
m
s
ewashington1288 ewashington1288
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
As a police chief using Herzberg’s Motivation-Hygiene Theory, what types of motivators would you use to improve officer’s productivity?
If you were a police administrator, what do you believe would be a reasonable span of control of management? In other words, how many subordinates do you believe you could effectively supervise and why?
Explain each aspect of Luther Gulick’s acronym “POSDCORB” and its importance from the perspective of a manager?
List and discuss the four basic types of structural designs within police departments.
Read 82 times
2 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
Found this online -- please rewrite in your own words!

•   As a police chief using Herzberg’s Motivation-Hygiene Theory, what types of motivators would you use to improve officer’s productivity?

Herzberg’s Motivation-Hygiene Theory was developed “from research conducted by Frederick Herzberg (1923–2000), Bernard Mausner, and Barbara Snyderman on job attitudes at 11 work sites in the Pittsburgh area and reported in The Motivation to Work (1959).”  Swanson, C. R., Territo, L. and Taylor, R. W.. (2017). Police Administration: Structures, Processes, and Behavior (9th edition). New Jersey: Prentice Hall, Inc. page 159  “MCGREGOR’S THEORY X–THEORY Y ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT WORKERS” Was a good reference when referring to the question of what type of motivators I would use to improve officer’s productivity. Mcgregor did a great job of first and foremost pointing out three major factors when it comes to how humans approach work. This three included “1. The average human has an inherent dislike of work and will avoid it if possible. 2. Most people must be coerced, controlled, directed, and threatened with punishment to get them to put forth adequate effort toward the achievement of organizational objectives. 3. The average human prefers to be directed, wishes to avoid responsibility, has relatively little ambition, and wants security above all” Page 160 After recognizing human traits that we have towards work then we can look into solutions. Theory Y included a couple different ways I would approach as a police chief. One theory stated “Commitment to objectives is a function of the rewards associated with their achievement.” Page 160 I would reward my officers accordingly. To show that they are appreciated and to maintain moral as well. Another key theory stated “The average human learns, under proper conditions, not only to accept but also to seek responsibility.” Page 160 I think this focuses on making sure that my officers has all the tools to be able to learn and also in the correct settings. This not only expands their mind when it comes to work processes but I feel would provide them with the confidence in themselves and their jobs which they are performing. The last theory I examined stated “Organizations only partially utilize the abilities of their employees; unleashing that energy leads to greater organizational achievements and more fulfilled employees.” Page 160 With this theory in mind I would create or edit the current open door policy and encourage officers to present new ideas that they have or new changes they feel should be made. I would not just assume everything is running smoothly. I would try to provide an environment where even the newest officers feels as if he is important and as empowered as the most seniority officer in the department.

•   If you were a police administrator, what do you believe would be a reasonable span of control of management? In other words, how many subordinates do you believe you could effectively supervise and why?

If I were a police administrator I think I could successfully manage close to 10-12. The span of control has an direct correlation to the performance of the subordinates. Supervising a considerable larger group for me I feel would lead to poor job performance and produce a higher turnover rate. Being effective in a smaller group is more obtainable than a larger group.

•   Explain each aspect of Luther Gulick’s acronym “POSDCORB” and its importance from the perspective of a manager?

“POSDCORB” is an acronym that stands for “ Planning, Organizing, Staffing, Directing, Coordinating, Reporting and Budgeting” Page 155 Planning from a managers point of view would involve setting up a system to achieve goals and find the steps necessary to achieve those goals. Organizing, a manager has to be able to organize his or her team and materials, along with assigning work and distribute authority properly. Staffing involves a manger being able to address the different needs that his or her company has in different areas within the department. Being able to successfully pick and choose the best qualified and the oversea the training and development of those who are hired. Coordinating, involves that manager being able to pull each and every department together to work in one cohesive system to successfully do the job and complete daily task. Reporting involves management being able to keep everyone informed and what is going on in the work place. Making sure that everyone has the information that is needed to be relayed. Budgeting from a managers stance involves developing a financial plan that works for the department and being able to disperse funding according.

•   List and discuss the four basic types of structural designs within police departments.

The first basic type of structural design is Line Structure. This is described in the chapter as “the oldest, simplest, and clear- est form of organizational design. Authority flows from the top to the bottom of the organization in a clear and unbroken line, creating a set of superior– subordinate relations in a hierarchy commonly called the chain of command. A primary emphasis is placed on accountability by close adherence to the chain of command” Page 206 This involves the aspects of effective communication and how to achieve the best results when it comes to communication.

The second type mentioned was Line and Staff Structure. This was described in the chapter as “more demands for services are placed on police departments, there is a need to add internal support functions, so that the line functions can continue to provide direct services to the public. The addition of support functions to the line elements produces a distinct organizational form: the line and staff structure. The addition of a staff component to the line structure offers a number of advantages such as (1) providing expert advice to line units in special knowledge areas as demonstrated by the opinions of legal advisors; (2) relieving line managers from performing tasks they least prefer to do or are least qualified to do, such as training and scientific analysis of physical evidence; (3) achieving departmentwide conformity in activities that affect the entire organization, such as disciplinary procedures; and (4) reducing or eliminating special problems, such as corruption, because of the greater expertise they bring to bear on the issue and the greater amount of time they have to devote to the problem.” Page 206

The third type mentioned in our textbook was Functional Structure. This was described in the chapter as “a line and staff structure that has been modified by the delegation of management authority to personnel outside their normal spans of control. By requiring specific units to be responsible to a variety of other unit commanders, critical information is assured of reaching other line officers. Sharing is promoted, while competing loyalties are diminished.” Page 206 I believe that this focuses on accountability and being able to control and disperse power evenly. Also it creates a sense of accountability.

The fourth type and last type that was mentioned was Matrix Structure. This was described as “the assignment of members of functional areas (e.g., patrol, detective, and support services) to specific projects (e.g., task forces and crime-specific programs).” Page 207 From my understanding this harps on the importance of each separate role in different area’s of a department. As the definition mentioned, the patrol units, detectives and special task forces.

Work Cited

Swanson, C. R., Territo, L. and Taylor, R. W.. (2017). Police Administration: Structures, Processes, and Behavior (9th edition). New Jersey: Prentice Hall, Inc

- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Answer accepted by topic starter
duddyduddy
wrote...
Staff Member
Top Poster
3 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science