t
i
r
r
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
3 years ago
It's my understanding that the neurotransmitter GABA is basically the brakes for all other neurotransmitters. The thing that makes most anxiety meds work and that keeps us from having seizures (granted too much can do the same). What else does it do? I have read in zebrafish the inhibition of gaba seems to initiate the regeneration process of their retinas, and in humans it may do the same for the pancreas. What else is it involved in?
Read 227 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Yes, you're right in the sense that it is the body's main inhibitory neurotransmitter substance in the central nervous system. How it's connected to the pancreas is new to me. hopefully someone else can chime in
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
GABA's role in the pancreas is very specific and not commonly documented in textbooks. Here's a description I found that explains it quite well:

In the pancreatic islet, GABA released from β-cells plays a critical role in the regulation of glucagon secretion from α-cells. Specifically, GABA activates A-type GABA receptor in α-cells, sequentially leading to an influx of Cl- and membrane hyperpolarization, and hence an inhibition of glucagon secretion. The A-type GABA receptor-mediated hyperpolarization of α-cells represents a physiological mechanism for glucose-induced suppression of glucagon release because blockade of A-type GABA receptor diminishes the inhibitory effect of high glucose on glucagon secretion in isolated rat or mouse islets.

Please provide the source for:

I have read in zebrafish the inhibition of gaba seems to initiate the regeneration process of their retinas, and in humans it may do the same for the pancreas. What else is it involved in?

Will look into it and give my input Slight Smile
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
3 years ago
The zebrafish study was out of Vanderbilt University.
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
The zebrafish study was out of Vanderbilt University.

Always provide a citation for an idea you want discusses. Universities and colleges pop-out studies every year, so if you want an experts opinion, make sure to mention it in the discussion
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1022 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352