t
i
r
r
nha78 nha78
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
Hi, just another question, is it important to take a philosophy course for Grade 12 if your planning to go into law? I wanted to become a specific lawyer. I took the regular religion course since its required to take either one those, and considering English is not one of my strongest subjects I decided to do that, and also many teachers had said it is difficult.  Is it a big deal to take it, or is it very useful for uni?
Read 468 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi, just another question, is it important to take a philosophy course for Grade 12 if your planning to go into law?

No, philosophy is not required.

It's not entirely hard if you do try it though. It's mostly reading from a textbook, memorizing certain philosophies and writing a bunch of essays/reports. Essentially the same as any social science course.

What's concerning is how you mention that English is not your strong subject. Lawyers are excellent talkers and writers, that's all they do leading up to their careers. Just some food for thought...

nha78 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
My teacher claims that my writing is more descriptive and that critical thinking and analysis is something I have trouble with, do you have ideas/tips on how to improve that with my writing, none of my teacher's have helped with that issue.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
The secret?

nha78 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
And also,  I don't have much info about what's it like to study law in Uni as well, do you know its level of difficulty, expectations/standards?
nha78 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
And what do you mean by imitate?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
You need to enroll in a program like criminology. Criminology prepares you for various legal studies, where you have to do a whole bunch of essays in every class, memorize laws and statutes, apply your thinking much the same way a lawyer would, do a lot of extra courses involving history, sociology, ethics, and psychology. The saddest part, however, is you don't do any mathematics Frowning Face

And what do you mean by imitate?

Find an author whose writing you really enjoy, and copy what they do. Copy their style, how they transition from one sentence to another, etc. Also, use a thesaurus -- shift F7 on Word Wink Face You don't need to reinvent the wheel
nha78 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Do I have to enroll in a program like Criminology? because I wanted to become a corporate lawyer if possible, and I've done psychology from the previous grade but I haven't taken any courses related to that this year. I took an economics law course though and other business courses, we don't have a lot of options in our school tbh. And also isn't imitating plagiarizing? Because that's not acceptable in Uni
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Imitation isn't plagarism, and it's nothing close to cheating. It's using a formula that works -- it's the reason why different car manufacturers produce vehicles that look the same, but perform differently.

I'd focus on getting a degree first before specializing in something specific. You don't need a criminology degree to become a lawyer, you just need a degree to qualify to write a law school entrance exam + good grades. Technically you could have a degree in biology, and apply. In fact, a friend of mine graduated with a degree in engineering, then applied to law school and got in.
nha78 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
So I could get a business degree and possibly apply to law school?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
So I could get a business degree and possibly apply to law school?

Absolutely
nha78 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Considering my marks for English are around the 80-88% range, do you think I'll be fine to continue with law because I'm a little worried.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
That's a good grade, but you need to feel confident with your writing, be good at presentations, and know how to speak eloquently. Also, do a lot of practice reading, a lot, and you will be good 👍
nha78 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Thank you! I really appreciate the help, I will definitely work on those things Smiling Face with Open Mouth
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1004 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?