l
a
s
germinate_love germinate_love
wrote...
Donated
Rep: 3 0
3 years ago
I'm attempting to replicate a yeast transformation from a paper. The paper denotes that the strain which generated the best results as follows:

Name: ST9482
Parental Strain: ST9318
Added DNA Element: pCfB8796
Genotype: MATa Δura3 HIS3 LEU2 TRP1 MAL2-8c SUC2 XII-5:: PcPsiM-PcPsiK XI-3:: CrTdc-PcPsiH XI-1:: PcCpr ric1:: X-4:: ARO1-ARO2 XII-4:: ARO4K229LTRP2S65R,S76L Ty-4:: PcPsiM

The paper offers no definition of these columns nor is the underlying sequence provided. That leaves me to try and replicate the cassette using only the information provided.

How do I go about translating this into a complete plasmid vector that I could synthesize and trial on yeast?

Do you think "Added DNA Element" is really the base / template plasmid that was modified to produce the winning strain? How do I find the sequence for it? It's not on AddGene.

What is this genotype notation called and is there a translator or resource to help me unwind it? I see the individual genes and restriction enzymes, but there are other markers that I'm not sure how to read.
Read 330 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
Genotype: MATa Δura3 HIS3 LEU2 TRP1 MAL2-8c SUC2 XII-5:: PcPsiM-PcPsiK XI-3:: CrTdc-PcPsiH XI-1:: PcCpr ric1:: X-4:: ARO1-ARO2 XII-4:: ARO4K229LTRP2S65R,S76L Ty-4:: PcPsiM

You using this article?

Each of those terms tells you have the genes the strain has. For example, information on SUC2 can be found if you follow the link.

According to the paper I upload, this strain is ST9318 -- you can email the author for more information, I've tried it in the past and it works 50% of the time. Face with Open Mouth

So the nomeclarture differs from species to species. I know that delta means "deletion" for certain species of bacteria. Have you seen this Wikipedia article?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_nomenclature#Species-specific_guidelines

I've also uploaded the guideline for baker's yeast
 Attached file(s) 
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Donated
3 years ago
You using this article? Each of those terms tells you have the genes the strain has. For example, information on SUC2 can be found if you follow the link. According to the paper I upload, this strain is ST9318 -- you can email the author for more information, I've tried it in the past and it works 50% of the time. Face with Open Mouth So the nomeclarture differs from species to species. I know that delta means "deletion" for certain species of bacteria. Have you seen this Wikipedia article? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_nomenclature#Species-specific_guidelines I've also uploaded the guideline for baker's yeast

Yup, that's the article I'm using and trying to replicate.

The strain that had the highest titer was ST9482 and it's parent strain was ST9318 , unless I'm misreading the result?

The nomenclature attachment and links are super helpful, thanks for that.

I guess my current outstanding questions that I'm trying to work out are:
* What base strain of yeast can be used to replicate the transformation? (and where can I get it)
* How does the "parent" strain change the cassette design if at all?
* And generally speaking, since I now have the genotype, how do I reconstruct the entire transformation cassette so that I can get it synthesized and perform the transformation? For example, I need to know which restriction sites and locations were used to insert the genes. Maybe that's in the notation - I'm about to go study those and see.

I did reach out to the authors and we are connected; however, they started a company after publishing the article doing exactly what the paper is doing (producing psilocybin from yeast) and could not offer much due to a conflict of interest concerns.

Building a company that produces psychedelics like psilocybin for clinical treatment of mental health is what I'm exploring and building a working prototype by replicating this paper is my next milestone.
wrote...
Staff Member
3 years ago
You sure it doesn't say anything in the materials and methods? You should be able to replicate a study theoretically by what's stated in there

This isn't my field of expertise by take a read

sry I can't offer any more concrete answers to your problem, rly hope you figure it through
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
3 months ago
TY :)
wrote...
3 months ago
Thank you
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  787 People Browsing
 132 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204