a
t
i
r
r
Anonymous Anonymous
wrote...
3 years ago
Recently noticed that if I put one foot up high and one on the floor, the one on the floor will be significantly more "greyish" than the other. Very difficult to describe, it just appears less "natural" skin colkour (I'm white and prety pale). Not actualy grey, but just a less normal colour. It's not spider veins or anything, as itl's just all over. It also is kindof red, with "spots" of red everywhere (not actual spots, just the skin will be a bit red, imagine if you got a sharpie and randomly poked yourself with it, except no where near as red).  Very difficult to describe.

I don't know what causes this, it may be normal, but I can't say I've ever seen it in anyone else. I may just be being paranoid.

(I feel like this happens to all of my skin to an extent, but obviously the feet are the lowest part of the body in most positions we are in day to day, and I have hair on my legs so it's much more difficult to tell)
Read 463 times
13 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
3 years ago
Can we see a picture?
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
What you're describing is skin that's lacking oxygenated blood; poor blood flow in elderly usually is the cause for this phenomenon. Another rare condition is called argyria, that's when you've been exposed to silver-containing compounds - anyway, scratch that off your list.

Apart from the strange appearance, why's this bothering you? When did you first notice it?
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, Dave5674
What you're describing is skin that's lacking oxygenated blood; poor blood flow in elderly usually is the cause for this phenomenon. Another rare condition is called argyria, that's when you've been exposed to silver-containing compounds - anyway, scratch that off your list. Apart from the strange appearance, why's this bothering you? When did you first notice it?

I'm only 18... Do you have any pictures of this so I could see if I have it to a large extent?

It doesn't really bother me that much, it's just a bit weird and looks strange. I'm a man so my feet aren't often exposed as I don't wear open top shoes, so it's not really a huge problem.

(This is the same person who posted original post, I just don't know how to reply anonymously, doesn't really matter, it's a burner account.
Post Merge: 3 years ago

Can we see a picture?
Jlynn link=topic=1967126.msg5127387#msg5127387 date=1605221884] Can we see a picture? [/quote]

It's very difficult to get a picture of, I looked online and I would say this is the closest picture I can find. Esserntially take the one on the right in this photo, and tyhat's what it is like, exept without the blue streaks on the leg, and also not as bad as that (maybe 1/3 as bad as this photo). Is kindof what it looks like, although not exactly.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/thmb/EW63tOGSUdivTtYgsjROvdgZelg=/2448x3264/filters:fill(87E3EF,1)/GettyImages-611466991-5bd9a92dc9e77c0051dc73c6.jpg
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
(This is the same person who posted original post, I just don't know how to reply anonymously, doesn't really matter, it's a burner account.

Gotchya

Appears to me like a blood flow issue. If one leg is considerably lighter than the other, means there's a lack of blood flow to that area. Any history of varicose veins in the family? Lymphatic issues?

Just so I don't forget, poor lymphatic drainage leads to skin discoloration as well
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, Dave5674
Gotchya Appears to me like a blood flow issue. If one leg is considerably lighter than the other, means there's a lack of blood flow to that area. Any history of varicose veins in the family? Lymphatic issues? Just so I don't forget, poor lymphatic drainage leads to skin discoloration as well

It's not worse in one leg, it affects them both equally. If I sit down with one on the groud and one resting high up, it will only affect the one on the ground, but if I swap them it will affect the other one, always the one that is on the groud (doesn't happen if I'm walking around though).

I don't know about a history of that stuff, I'll have to ask around a bit, is it not a bitr ewarly to get that kindof stuff though at 18?

If I did have those things, what could I do about it?
Post Merge: 3 years ago

Gotchya Appears to me like a blood flow issue. If one leg is considerably lighter than the other, means there's a lack of blood flow to that area. Any history of varicose veins in the family? Lymphatic issues? Just so I don't forget, poor lymphatic drainage leads to skin discoloration as well

Also another question, does it look like I have Livedo reticularis on my skin, or could the kindof red appearance in this photo (of my arm) just be due to poor circulation? (or just the fact I have pale skin) https://imgur.com/a/A2uMt2a

I have it pretty much everywhere, it is worse on my legs I would say but my skin everywhere looks like it has a kindof "rash" on it (it's not an actual like dermatitis rash or anything as I can't feel it and it isn't itchy at all)
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I don't know about a history of that stuff, I'll have to ask around a bit, is it not a bitr ewarly to get that kindof stuff though at 18? If I did have those things, what could I do about it?

Nothing at all. You could wear compression socks, buck that doesn't "fix" the underlying issue.

Also another question, does it look like I have Livedo reticularis on my skin, or could the kindof red appearance in this photo (of my arm) just be due to poor circulation? (or just the fact I have pale skin) https://imgur.com/a/A2uMt2a

The picture provided is not livedo reticularis at all. Looks like a normal patch of skin to me, Anonymous. I think you might have a case of hypochondriasis 😟
wrote...
3 years ago
I don't know about a history of that stuff, I'll have to ask around a bit, is it not a bitr ewarly to get that kindof stuff though at 18? If I did have those things, what could I do about it?
Nothing at all. You could wear compression socks, buck that doesn't "fix" the underlying issue.
The picture provided is not livedo reticularis at all. Looks like a normal patch of skin to me, Anonymous. I think you might have a case of hypochondriasis 😟

Can having bad circulation make the skin a bit more red? As I do think my skin is definetly more red than would be normal, it's more noticeable on my legs, but my skin definetly isn't a "consistent shade".

Can get a slightly better view in this picture : https://imgur.com/a/sFKoUF8
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Ok, do you have a picture that compares the healthy leg with the "unhealthy" leg. Looks normal this view...
wrote...
3 years ago
Ok, do you have a picture that compares the healthy leg with the "unhealthy" leg. Looks normal this view...

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean, I can't really get any better pictures, it's really ahrd to acurately protray in images. I would say it is around 2 times as bad as most of the images make it look.

Another one of arm under different house lights: https://imgur.com/a/1NhdTW2 (ignore the red patch right at the top, that is just from leaning my arm on my desk)

Take that image, and imagine it 2 or 3 times as bad, and that's how it actually is. More noticebale under blue-white kitchen lights than normal "bulb lights" for some reason.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Dave, your skin is perfectly normal. I think I'll end it with that...
wrote...
3 years ago
Dave, your skin is perfectly normal. I think I'll end it with that...

Fair enough, just as an extra question, can young men get Livedo reticularis? All the websites I see say that it can happen in young women, but I assume it can also happen in young men., Is it just a case of men asking their doctor about it less as they aren't as fussed how their skin looks?

Also I assume to an extent it's genetic? Like if your parent(s) had it when they were younger you would be more likley to.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Is it just a case of men asking their doctor about it less as they aren't as fussed how their skin looks?

I think if you asked a doctor that question, 9 out of 10 won't know what it is. But if you were to show them a prominent example, then they'd know something is off. Conditions like these aren't treated with medicine, because they don't cause any lifestyle changes. Normally people just live with it, and don't complain of any symptoms or pain.

Also I assume to an extent it's genetic? Like if your parent(s) had it when they were younger you would be more likley to.

Could be genetic, it could also be physiological, perhaps your body is fighting a localized infection or comes and goes when you're exercising.
wrote...
3 years ago
Is it just a case of men asking their doctor about it less as they aren't as fussed how their skin looks?
I think if you asked a doctor that question, 9 out of 10 won't know what it is. But if you were to show them a prominent example, then they'd know something is off. Conditions like these aren't treated with medicine, because they don't cause any lifestyle changes. Normally people just live with it, and don't complain of any symptoms or pain.
Could be genetic, it could also be physiological, perhaps your body is fighting a localized infection or comes and goes when you're exercising.

Going back to the original reason fro this thread, the weird thing about my foot going kindof grey if I'm sat down. Is there a specific name for this? You mentioned it was linked t varicose veins, but I assume it is technically seperate, as not everyone with varicose veins will' have it.

Also does this mean it's a circulation problem? Would doing more excersice, slppeing with feet high up etc make it less bad?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1139 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion