i
r
r
myrnac09 myrnac09
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
Hello
I have been working on the chloroplast assembly of a microalgae. When assembling by reference, I noticed that there were differences in the percentages of coincidence between the strains of the same specie. So my question is what implications do DNA repair mechanisms have on the difference between genome lengths?
So, considering that all these strains were isolated from hypersaline sites, the repair mechanisms were involved, but how is it that they are involved?
Thanks in advance, I look forward to your answers and study suggestions.
Read 109 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
percentages of coincidence

The phrase I don't understand, Myrna Cardenas.

So my question is what implications do DNA repair mechanisms have on the difference between genome lengths?

I don't see a relationship between the two things. The one thing I can think of but would need to be verified is that the long the genome, the longer it would take to repair damaged DNA.

However, the problem with the idea is that DNA repair pathways are not dependent on genomic length. The five major DNA repair pathways include base excision repair, nucleotide excision repair, mismatch repair, homologous recombination, and non-homologous end joining. The latter two are found in prokaryotes such as bacteria, and presumably chloroplast DNA. None the less, these are active throughout different stages of the cell cycle, allowing the cells to repair the DNA damage.

So, considering that all these strains were isolated from hypersaline sites, the repair mechanisms were involved, but how is it that they are involved?

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Are you asking about DNA repair in chloroplasts or microalgae?
myrnac09 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Well my initial question is why are there differences between the genomic architecture of different strains of the same species? these strains of microalgae were isolated under very similar salinity conditions so I don't understand the differences between the lengths
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, bio_man
Hi myrnac09

I hope I don't sound dumb probing you on this, but you didn't specify in your clarification post above whether you meant the chloroplast DNA within the algae or the microalgae DNA itself -- the question is still unclear to me.

Update:

I just read your new topic, it's the chloroplast we're concerned about.

Hello, I have been analyzing two strains of the same species of microalgae isolated in very close geographical regions and I found that the genomic architecture of the chloroplast was different.

I'll continue the other thread and respond to it soon... https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=1970220.0.msg5150457#msg5150457
myrnac09 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Thanks a lot, sorry for the confusion
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1190 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293