t
i
r
r
bear56 bear56
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
3 years ago
Does space weather affect the space crafts` launches and do scientists check it before space crafts go to space?
I know there is sach fact like a space turbulence and it can influence on a space craft, but can space weather?
Read 198 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Does space weather affect the space crafts` launches and do scientists check it before space crafts go to space?

Weather in space? Does space even have air molecules? I don't think so...
bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, bear56
It`s called so like ``space weather``. Actually, it`s something like a period with a strong solar storm that can affect on space crafts` launches. To be more accurate, it can affect on the ability to track/communicate with the craft.
Post Merge: 3 years ago

Also, it`s forecast like weather on Earth
Space Weather is forecast with a combination of:
- Theoretical/computer modeling (eg of the Sun's 11 year sunspot cycle)
- Ground-based observations
- Satellite based observations
wrote...
3 years ago
Even though space doesn't have air molecules and an atmosphere, it has weather. The term "space weather" presupposes the set of various factors, such as the level of cosmic radiation, geomagnetic and heliomagnetic activity,  spacecraft orbit changes, dissemination of radio waves, and the impact of other factors on people in space.  Indeed, the space weather influences the space crafts' launches.  You may be surprised, but even the Earth's weather can delay the launch of crafts. A strong wind, rain, or lightning are considered serious obstacles for space exploration, not to mention the space weather.
bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Space weather is also considered as solar activity and the affect  of this activity on technology.  Not only space technology are affected but also technology on Earth.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Looking back at my post, I sounded pretty ignorant – my bad! Unlike what we experience on earth, space weather consists of things we can't visually see, namely streams of energetic particles, intense ultraviolet and x-ray radiation, and magnetic disturbances.

Thanks for clarifying...
bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Talking about solar activity, it may affect spacecraft with its radiation storms. When there is a strong space radiation storm that can har satellites, launches might be delayed. It his can also be the case with strong solar flares that could interfere with communications. In orbit satellites can have issues due to strong space weather. Some satellite orbiters push satellites to a lower orbit to prevent damage. Low orbit satellites don’t have much effect, higher orbit satellites are in more danger during strong space weather events. For example on the LASCO imagery you can see the images with many white sparks due to incoming particles on the sensor.  Solar activity also affects technology we have on Earth.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  887 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?