t
i
r
r
marinejas marinejas
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
3 years ago
The sound intensity of a jet engine is 140dB. A space-shuttle launch has a sound intensity of 18-dB.  How many more times intense is the space shuttle launch than the jet engine? recall  the following L=10log(I/Io) (bottom exponent).
Read 369 times
11 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Hi marinejas

See if this video helps

marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Ok so the answer to this would be 1/10000? Is that correct? I can show you what I did.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Ok so the answer to this would be 1/10000? Is that correct? I can show you what I did.

Yes, please. Then I'll show you my work
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Okay so this is what I did:         
1) L= 10log(I/Io)                                              2) 180/10 = 10log/10 (Is-si/Io)      3) Ije/Is-si = 10^14Io/10^18Io
140/10 = 10log/10 (Ije/Io)                                18=log(Is-si/Io)                               = 10^-4
14=log IIje/Io)                                                      10^18 = Is-si/Io                              = 1/1000                                   
10^14Io=Ije                                                            10^18Io=Is-si
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Why don't you just sub. in the values 140 in for \(I\) and 18 in for Io, then multiply by 10?

If you do that you get 8.9. Do you happen to know the answer?
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Sub in which part of my answer? Like in the original formula? And no I don't have the answer to this question. This was the way my teacher had shown us to do it when it comes to questions like these, so not 100% sure.
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Sub in which part of my answer? Like in the original formula? And no I don't have the answer to this question. This was the way my teacher had shown us to do it when it comes to questions like these, so not 100% sure.

Could you upload your teacher's work on this formula? Would really help to clarify things
marinejas Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, marinejas
Ok sure but its from a similar question to this.
Post Merge: 3 years ago

Ok here it is:
Had to copy it down bc screenshotting it wouldn't work
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Answer accepted by topic starter
bio_manbio_man
wrote...
Educator
Top Poster
3 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free