t
i
r
r
bear56 bear56
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
3 years ago
Have you ever heard about so- called hybrid rockets? The only think I know about them, is that this type of rocket is uncrewed and guided and used for test in under microgravity conditions. I wanna know why it is exactly hybrid and are there some crewed rockets like that?
Read 207 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
3 years ago
Hi there, yes, I have heard of hybrid rockets! They're cool Slight Smile

Hybrid rockets are described as hybrid because its oxidizer is a liquid and its fuel is a solid. These are separated to prevent accidental detonation, as shown in the drawing above. According to this Wikipedia, hybrid rockets avoid some of the disadvantages of solid rockets like the dangers of propellant handling, while also avoiding some disadvantages of liquid rockets like their mechanical complexity. In addition, they are known for their ability to be throttled, stopped, and restarted during flight, though, not as reliably as liquid rockets.

In the classical arrangement, one or more ports are present in the fuel grain whereby the oxidizer flows and burns with the fuel vapors. When speaking about hybrid rockets, one cannot avoid stating that, although they may seem to lie somewhere between a liquid and a solid propellant system, this propulsion technology, thanks to the phase separation of the two propellants and the vast choice of available inert fuels, features unique advantages, well known in the propulsion community, which are not enjoyed by either liquids or solids. In fact, because they essentially preserve performance comparable to the high level of the most complicated liquid rocket engines, their several benefits, spanning lower development cost, higher safety and less environmental impact, can lead to extensive employment as game changing technology in the current space arena characterized by a dramatic upsurge of worldwide activities and the parallel emergence of different types of space actors.
Source  https://www.mdpi.com/2226-4310/6/12/128/htm
bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I found an interesting consept of the hybrid rocket and it`s called Sky Hy. The term ``hybrid`` has been given to this rocket because it combines solid Hydroxyl Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) fuel and 90% Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) liquid oxidiser. This rocket has been build by a private space company from Scotland.
https://www.skyrora.com/skyhy
wrote...
3 years ago
I found an interesting consept of the hybrid rocket and it`s called Sky Hy. The term ``hybrid`` has been given to this rocket because it combines solid Hydroxyl Terminated Polybutadiene (HTPB) fuel and 90% Hydrogen Peroxide (H202) liquid oxidiser. This rocket has been build by a private space company from Scotland. https://www.skyrora.com/skyhy

Do you happen to know something about the launch of this rocket? Or SkyHy is just a concept that's under development?
bear56 Author
wrote...
3 years ago
As far as I know this kind of rocket is already used by the company I`ve mentioned. It`s used to deliver microsats to the orbit and as far as have already mentioned it`s also used for microgravity missions and experiments.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  955 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370