a
t
i
r
r
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Referring to following statement, I used to drink red wine before sleep (2-3 times per week), and would like to know on whether red wine causes GERD or not during sleep period with empty stomach

Furthermore, how many hour does Pantoprazole last? would it be better not drinking red wine within this 2 weeks?

Wine is highly acidic, and would not be recommended if you had GERD. I would stay away from it, tea and coffee.

Pantoprazole has an average half-life of just one hour. It takes approximately 5.5 x the half-life of a drug for it to be cleared from your system, which would mean it takes about five and a half hours for pantoprazole.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Using Pantoprazole  to treat GERD is not the best approach, stomach acid is good for body defend system, I would like to know on how stomach would be triggered and release acid.

1) would drinking 0.5L of water trigger stomach to release acid?
2) whenever food enters stomach, would acid be release automatically?
3) If I eat something every hour, would stomach non-stop to release acid?

I think it is better to control eating habit instead of using Pantoprazole.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Gastrin is a hormone that is produced by 'G' cells in the lining of the stomach and upper small intestine. During a meal, gastrin stimulates the stomach to release gastric acid.

Water doesn't stimulate gastric acid production. The amount of gastric acid produced is proportional to the amount of food you eat. Some foods take up to 6 hours to digest in the stomach.

I think it is better to control eating habit instead of using Pantoprazole.

I agree. Remember at the beginning of this conversation when you first started the thread, I told you my dad had GERD, and he blamed it on acidic foods. Limit the acidity, take an antacid, see how that makes you feel instead of taking medicines.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, oemBiology
Gastrin is a hormone that is produced by 'G' cells in the lining of the stomach and upper small intestine. During a meal, gastrin stimulates the stomach to release gastric acid.

I would like to know on what trigger 'G' cells in the lining of the stomach and upper small intestine, would any solid object touching 'G' cells trigger release acid? what is the mechanism of this 'G' cells?

How do drinking red wine trigger releasing acid? that is liquid as well.

Limit the acidity, take an antacid,

I would like to know on how antacid work, the root cause of issues are stomach acid, it is better to limit the period on releasing acid, correct?

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I would like to know on what trigger 'G' cells in the lining of the stomach and upper small intestine, would any solid object touching 'G' cells trigger release acid? what is the mechanism of this 'G' cells?

Nerves and hormones regulate digestion based on the amount of food and its composition. What stimulates the G cells is the distention of the gut wall (for example: how much its been stretched) after a meal stimulates the release of signals from sensory receptors, which respond with muscle action and enzyme secretion. In my opinion, the physiology here is irrelevant to your condition.

How do drinking red wine trigger releasing acid? that is liquid as well.

Wine is acidic. It doesn't trigger the release of acid, but can irritates your pharynx and esophagus.

I would like to know on how antacid work, the root cause of issues are stomach acid, it is better to limit the period on releasing acid, correct?

Antacids are weak bases that act by chemically neutralizing gastric acid. Raising the pH (making it more basic) of the stomach contents results in suppression of the action of pepsin (protein digesting enzyme) that exacerbates ulceration due to acid. Thus, antacids can be used to relieve gastric pain caused by excessive acid secretion.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I need to switch the focus, is there a gate blocking between stomach and throat? so when people do upside down, foods in stomach would be avoid to leak into throat.

Is there anyway to strength the gate? so it can avoid any leaking acidic gas / liquid from stomach into throat.

Antacids are weak bases

Green Tea is also weak bases as well, could I drink green tea instead? which I drink everyday

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago

It's called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), and that's usually a cause of GERD.

Is there anyway to strength the gate? so it can avoid any leaking acidic gas / liquid from stomach into throat.

When a person regularly overeats or is overweight, their stomach swells and puts a lot of extra pressure on the LES. Over time, the LES loses its shape and its strength, allowing acid to flow upward, causing further damage to the LES. Other causes could be medicines you've taken that have weaken the sphincter, and alcohol is known to be a trigger for people with GERD, but for those who do not have it, regular consumption of alcohol can reduce the LES’ ability to close. Alcohol relaxes the muscles in the LES and allows stomach acid to flow upward, which over time also causes considerable damage to the LES.

Green Tea is also weak bases as well, could I drink green tea instead? which I drink everyday

If it is basic, then it shouldn't be a concern.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Is there any solution on fixing (LES) issue?

When body sleeps at 30 degree instead of flat surface, it can prevent acid reaching (LES).  Please see below image

If people can sleep on standing up position, which can 100% prevent GERD as well.

Do you find any study on how well people sleep at 30 degree as comparing with on flat surface?

oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago
I ate dinner before 8pm, and did not eat anything after that.

How long do food stay in stomach? would 4 hours be enough? and move into intestine.

During sleeping after 12 am, I still feel stomach acid move up into throat on lying down position.

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
Is there any solution on fixing (LES) issue? When body sleeps at 30 degree instead of flat surface, it can prevent acid reaching (LES). Please see below image If people can sleep on standing up position, which can 100% prevent GERD as well. Do you find any study on how well people sleep at 30 degree as comparing with on flat surface? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

Yes, your posture has an influence on GERD. Here's a study to back that up:

Continuous oesophageal pH measurements have been used to assess the influence of posture (lying, sitting, bed-up) on gastro-oesophageal reflux. The percentage of time during which oesophageal pH was below 5 and the number of reflux episodes was significantly reduced when patients were in bed-up position than when sitting or lying. There was no significant difference when sitting and lying positions were compared. The results suggest that by adopting the bed-up position (elevation of the head end of the bed with blocks of 28 cm), the patient will have a symptomatic benefit, the frequency of reflux is decreased, and acid clearing is improved.

https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/197991
wrote...
Educator
3 years ago
I ate dinner before 8pm, and did not eat anything after that. How long do food stay in stomach? would 4 hours be enough? and move into intestine. During sleeping after 12 am, I still feel stomach acid move up into throat on lying down position. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

If you ate your last meal at 8 PM, you can safely go to sleep by 12 AM (night).

Food takes roughly 2 to 6 hours to digest, depending on the oil and protein content of that food. Please watch the following video created by our website regarding digestion in the stomach.

oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago
Once foods are digested after 2-6 hours, would acid be reduced within stomach?
During sleeping after 12 am, I would like to know on why I still feel a bit little burning feeling on throat (GERD), since foods suppose to be moved into intestine.

oemBiology Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, oemBiology
elevation of the head end of the bed with blocks of 28 cm

I would like to know on whether 28cm would be minimize height to raise up the bed or not to be effective on reducing GERD

I can find blocks of 25 cm instead of 28 cm, is there any study about the height of blocks?

wrote...
Educator
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, bio_man
Once foods are digested after 2-6 hours, would acid be reduced within stomach? During sleeping after 12 am, I would like to know on why I still feel a bit little burning feeling on throat (GERD), since foods suppose to be moved into intestine. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

The affected area is sore, means also that it's healing.

elevation of the head end of the bed with blocks of 28 cm
I would like to know on whether 28cm would be minimize height to raise up the bed or not to be effective on reducing GERD I can find blocks of 25 cm instead of 28 cm, is there any study about the height of blocks? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

If I had access to the full study, the author probably mentions the affects of more or less height.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1358 People Browsing
 112 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?