s
r
d
l
a
Ryn1001 Ryn1001
wrote...
13 years ago
I asked this on yahoo answers and it was suggested that I re-ask here. It was a bit of a hassle to register and everything for one question, but I'm still curious. xP

I've been wondering about this for a while now and saliva is supposed to be anti-bacterial, and according to Wikipedia it can be used to clean old paintings. I'm mostly just curious. But, let's say you have a clean mouth (you've brushed your teeth) and you spit in a cup a few times and put a lid on it so it doesn't dry up. How long before that gets some harmful bacteria in it?
Read 2552 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
curious minds lead to curious places Face with Stuck-out Tongue

Saliva generally contains a number of antimicrobial and immunofunctional agents, in addition to secretory ImmunoglobulinA, lactoferrin, lysozyme and peroxidases.

However, not all bacteria are susceptible to these powerful chemicals. In fact, some pathogens are genetically programmed to resist these natural antibiotics produced by our bodies. If the lid is infected with bacteria or the cup in which the spit is put in is infected, bacteria will start their grow immediately; however, since there isn't much of a food source in saliva (i.e. sugars), the bacteria is awfully limited in terms of its grow.
Ryn1001 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
So it basically depends on the container and how clean it is?

Let's say there's two cups. Both have been cleaned and washed with anti-bacterial soap.

One has only saliva in it. The other has saliva AND sugar in it.

Would the no-sugar container last 24 hours? A week? What about the other one?

I'm guessing that neither would develop any harmful amount of bacteria before... 24 hours?
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Okay, if we were to assume both were virtually free from bacteria, there would be no growth at all because there is no bacteria in there to begin with. Bacteria doesn't just fly or walk into the container, it has to be there in the first place in order to infect the area it is in. If, however, you were to intentionally expose both samples with an infectious species of bacteria, the one with sugar would become totally infested with the pathogen until the bacteria ran out of the sugar source is was initially supplied with - this ultimately depends on how much sugar you put in, but with bacteria, a little bit of sugar goes a long way. Really hard to give you a quantitative value.
Ryn1001 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Oh, I was thinking bacteria is always just floating about in the air, just waiting for the chance to happen upon something juicy so it can spread infectious diseases and such. xP

I guess I am thinking more of molds and funguses.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Yeh Wink Face Molds release spores that are often airborne (just floating around) - not with bacteria.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
By the way, if you have anymore curiosity based questions, don't forget to come back and ask them!
Ryn1001 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Okay. Thanks!  Grinning Face

And thanks for the answers!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1112 People Browsing
 138 Signed Up Today
Related Images