m
s
star star
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
13 years ago
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-welch15-2010mar15,0,6629446.story

Medicalization is the process of turning more people into patients. It encourages more of us to be anxious about our health and undermines our confidence in our own bodies. It leads people to have too much treatment -- and some of them are harmed by it.

And it's big part of the reason why medical care costs so much.

There are many areas in which medical care has a great deal to offer. But it has now gone well beyond them. There may have been a time when the words "Do everything possible" were indeed the right approach to medical care. But today, with so many more possibilities for intervention, that's a strategy that is increasingly incompatible with a good life. We all need to be a little more skeptical and -- to really be healthy -- willing to ask "Why?"

Any thought or comments?
Read 1002 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
ppk
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
13 years ago
It's nice to be conscious of our health but I believe it doesn't require us to be a consistent patient in order to fulfill those thoughts. It is true that in our modern time we are able to monitor our own body and make judgments for ourselves this helps relieve us of visiting a doctor and obtaining not needed prescriptions, it also gives us the empowerment of our own bodies health and not have to be afraid for every little cold we come across.
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
I don't agree with this article. The extra precautions that doctors take are in the interest of the patient. The extra tests are to unsure that there is nothing wrong. Would you rather know that there is a possibility of something being wrong and have it turn out to be nothing, or would you rather a doctor assume it's nothing and it turns out to something that could harm you. I find it odd that this article is complaining that people receive too much medical care when there are people in the world that don't receive any health care at all; we should appreciate it and count ourselves lucky.
wrote...
2 years ago
This article helped me so much.
Visit: https://fruitsandvegetablesbenefits.com/
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  777 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274