d
l
a
tsing_lee tsing_lee
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
2 years ago
Hi all,
I just read the paper about the wing spot in pest insect.
I wonder how the evolutionary of wing spot can give the advantage or contribution in the field?
Any idea?
Thank you so much!
Read 389 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
Hi tsing_lee,

What do you mean when you write "wing spot"? Can you give reference this notion.

Awaiting your reply
tsing_lee Author
wrote...
2 years ago
Hi!
Wing spot is a spot with black color in male fruit fly like this

this is the article that I read.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23520110/
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
Hi tsing_lee

Wing spots have evolved in different fruitfly species as part of the courtship displays that males present to females during mating. Thus, they can be under intense evolutionary pressure to appear and be maintained, depending on whether the females find them "attractive".

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/04/060422121625.htm
tsing_lee Author
wrote...
2 years ago
Yes, I know that the wing spot is correlated with courtship behaviour. However, I wonder what the contribution of this result in actual field of study? Especially when the fly is pest
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
Excellent question, but access to the article is locked for me. Can you attach the full article it to your post?
tsing_lee Author
wrote...
2 years ago

I am sorry, I cannot upload the file
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
Hi tsing_lee,

I'm reading through the study, and my final take is that there are transcription factors that govern several effector genes that form this morphological trait of wing spots. A certain gene, I believe dll is one such privileged gene target to modify the spatial pattern of this trait during evolution.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1113 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images