t
S
m
s
Cristal Acevedo Cristal Acevedo
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
2 years ago
If you were given the chance to use a radio telescope to "listen" for signals from possible extraterrestrial civilizations, which 60-degree "pie wedge" would you choose, and why? How would the two factors that you explored in the previous question influence your choice?
Read 250 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
2 years ago
60-degree "pie wedge"

Please elaborate on what a 60-degree "pie wedge" is... I've searched all over Google, and there's no reference that connects "pie wedge" with radio telescopes
Cristal A. Author
wrote...
2 years ago
What do we mean by a "60-degree pie wedge"?

Notice there are numbers around the outer edge of the galaxy, called Galactic Longitude. One example of a 60-degree pie wedge would be the region from 60 degrees to 120 degrees. (Notice that the difference between 60 and 120 is 60.)  In this artwork, that region is to the left of the Sun, and includes large parts of the Perseus Arm and the Outer Arm.

image: https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/620057main_milkyway_full.jpg
wrote...
Staff Member
2 years ago Edited: 2 years ago, duddy
Thanks for sharing that. I tried doing some research, but couldn't find anything that would be helpful in answering this question. My hypothesis would be to select a wedge that has the highest density of stars. But then again, my knowledge of astronomy isn't strong enough to direct you to where that is, and if it is even possible.

If you end up finding the answer, please share it. This question has sparked my curiosity
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1130 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249