r
d
l
a
Calvince Onyango Calvince Onyango
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
2 years ago
The ICU has been having problems with communication between shifts, particularly on the weekends. This problem is brought up in the monthly staff meeting. A nurse says, “I think the night shift has not shared important patient information. It has led to serious errors, and I don’t want to be held responsible for these errors.” Silence follows this statement. As the nurse manager, you know you need to respond, so you say, “What is going on?”

Questions:

What do you think of the nurse manager’s response?

What information do you need?

What is the best way to frame the problem?

How might you go about assessing communication in the unit?

What are strategies you might use to resolve the communication problems?
Read 140 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
2 years ago
Hi, welcome

This was answered before:

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=1821450.0

if there's something missing, reply back!

Here's what I think:

• According the scenario, the manager will be accused for the serious error, as the patient who was admitted in the ICU was innocent, and the entire staff is responsible for his/her serious errors. The manager needs to take strict action against the staff, and to find out exactly what caused the problem. Everyone is charged should be responsible for the situation, the staff and the manager.
  • Information about the staff member who was working the night shift if necessary to find who is at fault, why the communication error took place regarding what was administered to the patient, and why it was missing on paper.
  • The best way to frame the problem should be to exclude the patient of any fault. And to report the issue within staff that miscommunication is leading to serious problems for the patients.
  • I would assess the communication by following the chart or attendance register of staff with the help of a CCTV camera footage, and by asking the coworkers or staff that why and who has missed the information.
  • Strategies to resolve communication problems are:

• Assigned night-and-day shift staff should be planned prior, and should be followed together as it is a ICU ward.
  • Register entry of the staff with all the details of treatment.
  • End-duty report under supervision.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1112 People Browsing
 134 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?