r
d
l
a
Jake Midgley Jake Midgley
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
A year ago Edited: A year ago, Jake Midgley
I have a piece of work to do where I must choose 1 out of 5 OMICS technology platforms (Genomics / Transcriptomics / Proteomics / Lipidomics / Metabolomics) and produce a presentation on a novel idea which utlises the technology to address the following problem:

"A food company is experiencing issues with post-harvest quality of their products (fruit, vegetables and/or seafood). The issue arises from the accumulation of black/brown pigments, which causes gross discolouration and leads to the accumulation of wastes. Due to negative consumer perceptions, the affected products are rejected and devalued, thereby leading to significant financial losses. The food company are looking to invest in, and apply an OMICS-related platform to tackle their current issues with post-harvest quality. What are the potential causes of discolouration? Can we develop a solution? Prospective representatives are invited to ‘pitch’ their technology (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, lipidomics or metabolomics). As a company, we are focussed on value for money and delivering safe, nutritious products."

The instructions are:

you will focus on one of the following OMICS technology platforms: Genomics / Transcriptomics / Proteomics / Lipidomics / Metabolomics Prepare a presentation of 10 mins on a novel idea developed in your group that utilizes the technology to address the problem described above. Each group member should present one of the following points in the presentation:

1) Give a broader introduction to the technology
2) Provide a brief background to the problem that you addressing with the help of the technology
3) Describe the solution to the problem that you addressing with the help of the technology
4) Clarify in details the steps required to develop that solution
5) Provide a summary and outlook to the broader impact of this solution and/or the technology

I have already started looking into Metabolomics, and i've made an introduction slide plus a fancy graphical slide, but I am wondering if one of the other technologies might be easier to present as someone with limited knowledge across each of these.

Any suggestions are much appreciated Slight Smile

Also any suggestions on how to structure something like this would also be greatly appreciated. This coursework is meant for 5 people, I am doing it on my own alongside a huge workload, so I am trying to get all the help I can get  Smiling Face with Open Mouth
Read 474 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
Hi,

I have already started looking into Metabolomics, and i've made an introduction slide plus a fancy graphical slide, but I am wondering if one of the other technologies might be easier to present as someone with limited knowledge across each of these.

Could I take a look at your presentation? Also, are you presenting this to science-illiterate folks?
Jake M. Author
wrote...
A year ago Edited: A year ago, Jake Midgley
Hi,
Could I take a look at your presentation? Also, are you presenting this to science-illiterate folks?
Hi, thanks for your response. Yes it will be to my university lecturers (around 3 of them, maybe more). It's a presentation on exactly the things i've described. Do you have any insight on which OMICS platform would be easier to present?
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
I would pick genomics; plenty of information presently online. The concept of genomics as a whole is complicated, so a presentation can easily turn complicated and technical. Start with an introduction that provides a basic overview of the topic, which sets the stage for the rest of the presentation. Start with something like: Genomics is a field of study that focuses on the structure, function, and evolution of genomes, which are the complete set of genetic instructions that make up an organism. Genomes contain all of the information needed to build and maintain an organism, from its physical traits to its susceptibility to disease.

Right away, this draws the crowd into what you're about to say next, since everyone to some degree is interested about their genetics, and how it influences them. Now continue with:

"In recent years, advances in technology have enabled scientists to read and analyze genomes on an unprecedented scale, revealing new insights into the biology of life. From identifying the genetic basis of diseases to tracking the evolution of species, genomics is revolutionizing our understanding of the natural world. In this presentation, I'll provide an overview of the key concepts and techniques used in genomics, as well as some of the most exciting applications of the field. By the end of this talk, I hope you'll have a better understanding of how genomics is changing the way we approach biology and medicine."

Hope that helps!
Jake M. Author
wrote...
A year ago
I would pick genomics; plenty of information already present online. The concept of genomics as a whole is complicated, so a presentation can easily turn complicated and technical. Start with an introduction that provides a basic overview of the topic, which sets the stage for the rest of the presentation. Start with something like: Genomics is a field of study that focuses on the structure, function, and evolution of genomes, which are the complete set of genetic instructions that make up an organism. Genomes contain all of the information needed to build and maintain an organism, from its physical traits to its susceptibility to disease. Right away, this draws the crowd into what you're about to say next, since everyone to some degree is interested about their genetics, and how it influences them. Now continue with: "In recent years, advances in technology have enabled scientists to read and analyze genomes on an unprecedented scale, revealing new insights into the biology of life. From identifying the genetic basis of diseases to tracking the evolution of species, genomics is revolutionizing our understanding of the natural world. In this presentation, I'll provide an overview of the key concepts and techniques used in genomics, as well as some of the most exciting applications of the field. By the end of this talk, I hope you'll have a better understanding of how genomics is changing the way we approach biology and medicine." Hope that helps!
Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll certainly utilise that for my intro if I go forward with genomics. But in the context of the assignment, as I have listed regarding the food company etc. Do you think genomics is an easy platform to utilise for that scenario?
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
Certainly. Genomics is now standard practice in the food industry. It's easier to select for a desirable gene when you know the entire catalogue of genes for that specific organism. Analyzing which alleles make an organism more resistant to undesirable conditions helps to create a monoculture that will become more profitable.
Jake M. Author
wrote...
A year ago
Ah fair enough thanks a lot. I asked chatgpt (an ai software which can help answering questions), but it's not always accurate so I wanted to check with some actual people. Chatgpt stated that metabolomics may be easier with limited knowledge as it is focused on the study of small molecules and their interactions, whereas genomics is a bit broader :/
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
I'm not sure how metabolomics could be connected to solve the problem at hand. I instantly thought about how scientist made corn more resistant years ago to pests, by inserting the Bt gene, hence why I think genomics would be easier to present.
Jake M. Author
wrote...
A year ago
Yeah fair, I think I would prefer genomics anyways, at least I know a little about it even if it's not much  Face with Cold Sweat I'll do some thorough research tomorrow Slight Smile Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1007 People Browsing
 159 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4