d
l
a
s
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
Are those websites to ask a doctor a question legitimate? Some I have found seem to contain largely doctors from other countries. Is there a good site of real doctors from United States to ask broad medical questions that aren't patient specific?
Read 393 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
They are legitimate. However, they also hire pre-med or resident doctors to cut on costs. You never really know exactly who you're talking to.

Keep in mind that if you consult with a doctor from overseas, they're just as knowledgeable and insightful. I would also seek a doctor of osteopathy versus an ordinary medical doctor (difference explained below).

I don't know of any websites. Slightly Frowning Face
Source  https://biology-forums.com/index.php?article=1653
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
They are legitimate. However, they also hire pre-med or resident doctors to cut on costs. You never really know exactly who you're talking to. Keep in mind that if you consult with a doctor from overseas, they're just as knowledgeable and insightful. I would also seek a doctor of osteopathy versus an ordinary medical doctor (difference explained below). I don't know of any websites. Slightly Frowning Face

Are osteopathy doctors like chiropractors and PT/OT? Holistic type medicine? I don't believe they can prescribed anything. In any event my interests are largely microbiology.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago Edited: A year ago, bio_man
Osteopathic practitioners get the same training as doctors, except they're more open to using their hands to heal their patients because they get extra training in the musculoskeletal system. And yes, they do prescribe medicine no different than a medical doctor.

They also don't refrain from recommending things like herbs or supplements if they it can help their patient. I believe this is an important part of being a doctor that the Western world no longer believes in due to liabilities or the fear of being sued. Sadly, politics gets in the way of healing in the United States and Canada.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Osteopathic practitioners get the same training as doctors, except they're more open to using their hands to heal their patients because they get extra training in the musculoskeletal system. And yes, they do prescribe medicine no different than a medical doctor.

They also don't refrain from recommending things like herbs or supplements if they it can help their patient. I believe this is an important part of being a doctor that the Western world no longer believes in due to liabilities or the fear of being sued. Sadly, politics gets in the way of healing in the United States and Canada.

Getting sued is a good intervention for people who practice risky behavior. Lol. Plants have more possible interactions. They aren't stripped down enough to work on more singular mechanisms.

Getting back to doctor sites, how can one identify a good one? Better business bureau reviewed?
wrote...
Educator
A year ago Edited: A year ago, bio_man
I can't unfortunately. Come to think of it, why would a doctor that makes 300k a year put their reputation on the line with a website? Society is too sue-happy for most doctors to put their license on the line over the internet. I suppose you could try AskMD by Dr. Oz (the bozo running for senate). I don't know if it offers anything special, so expect generic answers at best.

If you're using android, you could try this too: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ydo.smartapp

Let us know what you choose
wrote...
Staff Member
A year ago
AskMD by Dr. Oz

Looks like an old project that didn't gain much traction 👎 Its important to note that anyone can be hired to work for these online businesses. I'd rather get advice on Reddit or a forum.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  862 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?