t
S
m
s
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
Has any doctor ever removed an entire occipital lobe? I think a whole half brain has been removed, but I haven't heard about the occipital lobe being taken out.
Read 338 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Hi CarbonRobot

It's called a "occipital lobectomy". It's performed on people who have severe epilepsy. 

Attached an interesting document in case you're curious Downwards Arrow
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I ask because people who claim near death experiences as a reality and not an illusion sometimes mention blind people who have visual experiences that sound like those of seeing people. I wonder if without the visual part of the brain only then would it be impossible?
wrote...
Educator
A year ago Edited: A year ago, bio_man
I ask because people who claim near death experiences as a reality and not an illusion sometimes mention blind people who have visual experiences that sound like those of seeing people.

I read over this sentence several times, and I'm still confused about what is being said.

The way it reads is that "people with near death experiences cite blind people"?
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I ask because people who claim near death experiences as a reality and not an illusion sometimes mention blind people who have visual experiences that sound like those of seeing people.

I read over this sentence several times, and I'm still confused about what is being said.

The way it reads is that "people with near death experiences cite blind people"?

Yes people that study near death experiences have mentioned blind people who have also had those experiences despite having never seen anything ever. I am wondering if visual perception is only impossible if brain part is removed.
wrote...
Educator
Near-death experiences with vision in the blind and supernormal vision There have been a few case reports of near-death experiences in the blind. The largest study of this was by Dr. Kenneth Ring.15 This Investigation included 31 blind or substantially visually impaired individuals who had NDEs or out-of-body experiences. Of the 31 individuals in the study, 10 were not facing life-threatening events at the time of their experiences, and thus their experiences were not NDEs. There were 14 individuals who were blind from birth in this study, and nine of them described vision during their experiences. This investigation presented case reports of those born totally blind that described in NDEs that were highly visual with content consistent with typical NDEs.

The NDERF website has received additional case reports of near-death experiences among those legally blind. For illustration, the following NDE happened to Marta, a five-year-old blind girl who walked into a lake:

“I slowly breathed in the water and became unconscious. A beautiful lady dressed in bright white light pulled me out. The lady looked into my eyes asked me what I wanted. I was unable to think of anything until it occurred to me to travel around the lake. As I did so, I saw detail that I would not have seen in “real” life. I could go anywhere, even to the tops of trees, simply by my intending to go there. I was legally blind. For the first time I was able to see leaves on trees, bird’s feathers, bird’s eyes, details on telephone poles and what was in people’s back yards. I was seeing far better than 20/20 vision. 16

An NDERF survey question asked 1,122 near-death experiencers, “Did your vision differ in any way from your normal, everyday vision (in any aspect, such as clarity, field of vision, colors, brightness, depth perception degree of solidness/transparency of objects, etc.)?” In response, 722 (64.3%) answered “Yes”, 182 (16.2%) said “Uncertain”, and 218 (19.4%) responded “No”. A review of narrative responses to this question revealed that vision during NDEs was often apparently supernormal. Here are some illustrative examples from NDEs:

“Colors were beyond any I had ever seen.”

“Everything seemed so much more colorful and brighter than normal.”

“My vision was greatly increased. I was able to see things as close or as far as I needed. There was no strain involved it was almost like auto zooming a camera.”

“I had 360 degree vision, I could see above, below, on my right, on my left, behind, I could see everywhere at the same time!”

Vision in near-death experiencers that are blind, including totally blind from birth, has been described in many case reports. This, along with the finding that vision in NDEs is usually different from normal everyday vision and often described as supernormal, further suggests that NDEs cannot be explained by our current understanding of brain function. This is also further evidence that NDEs are not a product of what NDErs would have expected to occur during a life-threatening event.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6172100/

The "blind from birth" gave me the chills. This is interesting stuff, man!
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I don't really trust Jeffrey Long and his NDERF site. He seems to exclude most other countries' and NDEs that include non-Christian visions like Hindu Gods etc. It seems like there is an agenda with his site, and he is a radiologist. Not a scientist or even a psychiatrist for that matter. Are those blind studies strictly from his sources?
wrote...
Educator
I don't really trust Jeffrey Long and his NDERF site. He seems to exclude most other countries' and NDEs that include non-Christian visions like Hindu Gods etc.

That's a fair point. How do you know this? Clearly there's money to be made if both Jeffrey and his wife are writing books and profiting from people's experiences -- no harm in that, but later on we read:

"If you have benefited from our work and NDERF.org, consider a monthly or one-time donation through our 501(c)3 non-profit organization. We Really Need Your Help. Click here for more information."

Many pages are poorly written too. Here's a section on Islam: https://www.nderf.org/NDERF/Articles/islamic_views_nde.htm

Any, apart from that, I'm not seeing any evidence that people with NDE's are strictly Christian. -- a religion that holds very little in common to Christianity's belief of the afterlife.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I don't really trust Jeffrey Long and his NDERF site. He seems to exclude most other countries' and NDEs that include non-Christian visions like Hindu Gods etc.

That's a fair point. How do you know this? Clearly there's money to be made if both Jeffrey and his wife are writing books and profiting from people's experiences -- no harm in that, but later on we read:

"If you have benefited from our work and NDERF.org, consider a monthly or one-time donation through our 501(c)3 non-profit organization. We Really Need Your Help. Click here for more information."

Many pages are poorly written too. Here's a section on Islam: https://www.nderf.org/NDERF/Articles/islamic_views_nde.htm

Any, apart from that, I'm not seeing any evidence that people with NDE's are strictly Christian. -- a religion that holds very little in common to Christianity's belief of the afterlife.

He has said in an interview that he has seen no evidence of polytheism. As far as your link to Islam that describes the religious beliefs. It isn't a list of NDEs that confirm Islam beliefs in contrast to Christian ones. Seeing Mohammed or something.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
He has said in an interview that he has seen no evidence of polytheism.

You mean religions like Hinduism? It's the only polytheistic religion that I am aware of.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
He has said in an interview that he has seen no evidence of polytheism.
You mean religions like Hinduism? It's the only polytheistic religion that I am aware of.

There is Paganism and Animism as well. Some religions have supernatural figures as well that aren't Gods but have special ability.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Perhaps these reports are lacking because most Hindus don't speak English (of the 1.2 billion, I'm no more than 10% communicate in English). Maybe if we searched in their language, the internet would be filled with stories of NDE's. Also be mindful that before reading this thread, I had no idea a database existed. Thus, 9/10 experience probably go without reporting.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Perhaps these reports are lacking because most Hindus don't speak English (of the 1.2 billion, I'm no more than 10% communicate in English). Maybe if we searched in their language, the internet would be filled with stories of NDE's. Also be mindful that before reading this thread, I had no idea a database existed. Thus, 9/10 experience probably go without reporting.

Indeed. I don't think Dr. Long goes any farther out than is convenient for him. Lol.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  810 People Browsing
 115 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 284

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?