t
i
r
r
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
I think they have grown blue tomatoes and peppers utilizing the chemical in blueberries that gives most of their color, but even so they are relatively purple. Is there anyway to make tomatoes surrealistic level blue?
Read 217 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
I watched a documentary once that said there are no such thing as blue foods in nature, only purple. For example, blueberries are purple, not really blue, as their name implies. The same applies with blue cauliflower, which is also purple. I believe this purple color is caused by the presence of anthocyanin. Is that on par with what you've read? Anthocyanin is also responsible for the colors found in grapes, plums, berries, red cabbage and eggplant.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Blueberries must be pretty close to blue as purple is a color manufactured by the brain from the presents of red and blue?
wrote...
Staff Member
A year ago
When we say something is blue, its wavelength falls into 450 and 495 nm range. Violet or purple is around 380 nm. When blueberry dye is examined, its wavelength is around 520 nm to 530 nm.

Looking at the spectrum above, clearly that is a combination of bluish green. As you guys mentioned already, anthocyanins have a wavelength of maximum absorption at 510 nm.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Sounds pretty close to official blue. Perhaps chemical manipulation could get us there? Lol.

Isn't violet, red and blue in equal measurement, and since the spectrum doesn't circle as that those colors can be close doesn't the brain manufacturer the color when red and blue are projected together?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  912 People Browsing
Related Images