O
x
d
s
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
Are veins ever removed in brain surgery? Can an artery be removed as well or only cleared of plaques?
Read 139 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
I know that veins can be destroyed in other parts of the body without causing much problem. For example, people with varicose veins can develop bulging veins that can be removed if they becomes unsightly. However, I don't know if the same can be said about the brain.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I am just wondering if arteries can simply be cut if they press on the trigeminal nerve as opposed to pushing it aside with an artificial cushion. I still don't understand how blood vessels can get in the way of nerves. The brain seems like a tight place as is. It seems like everything should be well protected from everything else. And yet isn't in this case. I haven't found a natural way it can be reversed either.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
You're right, the brain is a tight-knit network of components composed of nerves, veins, tissue, etc. You can't cut out an artery because arteries are designed to deliver blood to all the veins and capillaries; cutting one out would kills all the tissue that depend on it. As you mentioned, it is a tight place, so a experiences head trauma, it's always possible that once the injured tissue heals, the scar tissue which forms could narrow that area, leading to pressure on placed on vital nerves. If you an autoimmune disorder, such as rheumatoid arthritis, joints become stiff. As the condition progresses, the synovium, which produces synovial fluid, swells and thickens, producing an excess of synovial fluid. Hypothetically, if you could cut out the artery, for example, it would relieve the pressure, but it still wouldn't solve the underlying issue that caused the problem to begin with, of which we don't know.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
You're right, the brain is a tight-knit network of components composed of nerves, veins, tissue, etc. You can't cut out an artery because arteries are designed to deliver blood to all the veins and capillaries; cutting one out would kills all the tissue that depend on it. As you mentioned, it is a tight place, so a experiences head trauma, it's always possible that once the injured tissue heals, the scar tissue which forms could narrow that area, leading to pressure on placed on vital nerves. If you an autoimmune disorder, such as rheumatoid arthritis, joints become stiff. As the condition progresses, the synovium, which produces synovial fluid, swells and thickens, producing an excess of synovial fluid. Hypothetically, if you could cut out the artery, for example, it would relieve the pressure, but it still wouldn't solve the underlying issue that caused the problem to begin with, of which we don't know.

I wonder what would happen if the Yamanaka factors (3 of them) were activated in all the brain's cells to reverse their epigenome causing regeneration of all types of stuff.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Do veins and arteries remodel and move around? Maybe shrink and disappear in one area once a new path has been found?
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Absolutely. Think of a tissue graft taken from the thigh of a person, for example, to treat superficial injuries like burns. They remodel in response to environmental changes (think of athletes with big muscles that stress their muscles), and so is a necessary response for environmental adaptation.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I actually don't know anything about skin grafting. But it does give me hope to think that trigeminal neuralgia might self correct under some circumstances. When I read about a disease that they don't quite know the cause and it simply "spontaneously" occurs that doesn't set well with me. I hope thought, diet, and behavior changes can make anything possible.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
I hope thought, diet, and behavior changes can make anything possible.

I agree. I don't know the validity of this claim, but I once read how some laughed away his cancer by maintaining happy, healthy thoughts through watching funny movies. Again, it could be folklore, but I do believe it. I also believe in the power of prayer, although that's an entirely different conversation.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  652 People Browsing
 141 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 386