l
t
S
m
s
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
A year ago Edited: A year ago, oemBiology
Referring to following link, I would like to know on how reducing melatonin effects on maintaining circadian rhythms.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

"Proper levels of melatonin secretion are important for human health, and the hormone is involved in a wide range of processes not discussed here. Perhaps because the pineal gland is highly specialized, focusing only on melatonin secretion, its importance is sometimes overlooked. The significance of melatonin in maintaining circadian rhythms, however, and the pineal gland's role in producing it, suggest that the pineal gland is an essential structure for the health of the central nervous system."

https://neuroscientificallychallenged.com/posts/know-your-brain-pineal-gland
Post Merge: A year ago

IPRG cells is photo sensitive cell affecting circadian clock
IPRG Cell would be depolarized with light, which inhibition of endocrine functions of pineal gland,
therefore, there is no secretion melationin production.

I would like to know on whether blue light would be better for IPRG cell depolarize or not as comparing with red light.

Thanks in advance

Read 316 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago
Melatonin is a neurohormone produced in the pineal gland that regulates circadian rhythmicity, with maximal secretion at night.

How does Melatonin effect heart rate and perpiration breathing?

Would increasing Melatonin increase heart rate and perpiration breathing?
Would increasing Melatonin decrease heart rate and perpiration breathing?

Thanks in advance
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
How does Melatonin effect heart rate and perpiration breathing?

Melatonin-induced bradycardia may be related to a muscarinic receptor activation and melatonin-induced tachycardia may be related to a Beta-adrenoceptor stimulation.

I wish I could provide more input, expect the entire paper is written in Korean. Though since heart rate and breathing are connected via the parasympathetic nervous system, a high heart rate would be associated with more breathing, and vice versa.

Source: https://www.kjvr.org/upload/pdf/kjvr-41-4-497.pdf

wrote...
Valued Member
A year ago
Melatonin isn't known for heart rate activity. Heart rate is controlled by the nervous system. The nerves that affect heart rate are part of the autonomic nervous system, which directs activities of the body that are not under conscious control. The autonomic nervous system is made up of two types of nerves, sympathetic and parasympathetic fibers. These fibers come from the spinal cord or brain and deliver impulses to the SA node and other parts of the heart.

Sympathetic nerve fibers increase the heart rate. These fibers are activated in times of stress, and they play a role in the fight or flight response that prepares humans and other animals to respond to danger. In addition to fear or physical danger, exercising or experiencing a strong emotion can also activate sympathetic fibers and cause an increase in heart rate. In contrast, parasympathetic nerve fibers slow the heart rate. In the absence of nerve impulses the SA node would fire about 100 times each minute - parasympathetic fibers are responsible for slowing the heart to the normal rate of about 70 beats per minute.

Epinephrine is a hormone made by the adrenal glands. Epinephrine increases the heart rate much as sympathetic nerve fibers do. Thyroid hormone, which regulates the body’s overall metabolism, also increases the heart rate. Other chemicals - especially calcium, potassium, and sodium - can affect heart rate and rhythm. Thus, melatonin isn't a major player.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
I don't fully agree here. Upwards Arrow

This source states that "the physiology of melatonin is closely bound with the sympathetic nervous system". Melatonin release is controlled by sympathetic afferentation to the pineal gland, mediating the inhibitory effect of light on pineal melatonin secretion. The article goes on to say that "the sympathetic pathway induces the production of melatonin by stimulation of pineal β1- and α1-adrenoceptors."
wrote...
Valued Member
A year ago
What are you in disagreement with? I don't see your post being incompatible with mine. Melatonin is not a direct regulator of heart beat. Melatonin is associated with sleep, and sleep leads to lower heart rate / breathing, but it's not what directly causes it. That's probably later on the physiological pathway, but not directly.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1066 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 284