t
S
m
s
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
I have read that the brain can produce DMT from multiple parts, but at least as far as the pineal gland it can't make anywhere near enough to create a psychedelic trip. I am curious what the sum total might be, and if there is any evidence that the brain produces more during trauma, near death, or death?
Read 335 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
A year ago
I have read that the brain can produce DMT from multiple parts, but at least as far as the pineal gland it can't make anywhere near enough to create a psychedelic trip.

I've read that schizophrenia is caused by a build up in dimethyl tryptamine. In other words, schizophrenia may be related to the lack of a certain regulator chemical in the brain which allows the unchecked manufacture and build-up of DMT.

This one review here states that it's impossible to quantify the amount of DMT due to its rapid metabolism and multiple metabolites. This is why we've yet to understand "DMT's overall occurrence or rate of endogenous synthesis, release, clearance and/or the overall assessment of the relevance of endogenous levels in the brain or periphery".
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I have read that the brain can produce DMT from multiple parts, but at least as far as the pineal gland it can't make anywhere near enough to create a psychedelic trip.
I've read that schizophrenia is caused by a build up in dimethyl tryptamine. In other words, schizophrenia may be related to the lack of a certain regulator chemical in the brain which allows the unchecked manufacture and build-up of DMT. This one review here states that it's impossible to quantify the amount of DMT due to its rapid metabolism and multiple metabolites. This is why we've yet to understand "DMT's overall occurrence or rate of endogenous synthesis, release, clearance and/or the overall assessment of the relevance of endogenous levels in the brain or periphery".

I always thought schizophrenia was caused by overstimulating and desensitization of dopamine receptors?
wrote...
Staff Member
A year ago
Honestly, nobody really knows for sure. I really like the way this author puts it:

Sometimes a disease can be understood by knowing how a drug that treats the illness works. This is true of schizophrenia. For example, old-school antipsychotics such as haloperidol are dopamine antagonists; this evidence influenced the ‘dopamine hypothesis’ – that schizophrenia involves hyperactivity of dopamine pathways in the brain.

Newer, more effective treatments for schizophrenia such as clozapine, known as atypical antipsychotics, are stronger antagonists of serotonin 5-HT2A receptors than dopamine receptors. You may be familiar with this receptor: it’s generally thought that hallucinogens such as LSD, psilocybin – and yes, DMT – must act as agonists of serotonin 5-HT2A receptors for their hallucinogenic effects. In other words, DMT acts on the same serotonin receptor subtype implicated in schizophrenia, thereby making the possibility that DMT is involved in schizophrenia biologically plausible.
Source  https://bibliography.maps.org/resources/download/11851
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
A year ago
Your pineal gland is tiny like, really, really tiny. It weighs less than 0.2 grams. It would need to be able to rapidly produce 25 milligrams of DMT to cause any psychedelic effects. To give you some perspective, the gland only produces 30 micrograms of melatonin per day.
Posted by Semantha Lorez
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Your pineal gland is tiny like, really, really tiny. It weighs less than 0.2 grams. It would need to be able to rapidly produce 25 milligrams of DMT to cause any psychedelic effects. To give you some perspective, the gland only produces 30 micrograms of melatonin per day.

Probably less for me. I never feel tired until I simply black out.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1041 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?