a
t
i
r
r
Joan Joan
wrote...
A year ago
I've watched a series where in the future the consciousness are transferred to computers to reach immortality. This has caused much physchological harm to me because I can't imagine the suffering we can do to people with this technology. I now have a feeling of emptyness, I loved nature a lot and I've always thought I am an organic and natural result of evolution. My parents have tought me that everything in life has a start and and end, that death and illness are natural processes, and I accepted that.

So now I can't live my life thinking the opposite, that nature laws allow us to be replaced by silicon. I can only live believing that we are biological and organic constant changing humans, I can't live thinking that we can turn into machines, this feels so horrible and hopeless to me.

My common sense is that the ideas depicted on this series is pure reductionism of the nature laws, wished by people not accepting their own death and willing to live forever, even if it's in silicon. I don't have biological knowledge to contrast this information, so this is why I'm asking to you. I appreciate a lot your reply, my head is spinning around and I can't stand this feeling.
Read 239 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago Edited: A year ago, bio_man
Hi Joan,

The idea that our thoughts, feelings, and experiences can be captured onto a computer chip is purely science fiction, and is not real. The best we've been able to do in the past 100 years is store and edit digital pictures; beyond that, nothing comes close to what you've described. It seems to me that the idea of immortality frightens you. Many religions, most notably Christianity, believe that each person is born with a soul, and that souls are immortals. That is, your soul doesn't die once you're physically dead, and that it "lives" on. To me, that's much more terrifying than the possibility of our conscience and subconscious being downloaded onto a computer for future use.
wrote...
A year ago
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm not really afraid of death, I consider it a natural process as birth. I'm afraid of humans...

Browsing the internet I've seen there is quite extensive research going on on mind uploading. Does this mean they will eventually succeed? Or will keep being an impossible dream for some willing not to die. Sometimes it feels to me that science has no boundaries and everything will be eventually possible, and this scares me a lot. Is it possible that science sometimes fail? Like in this case? Are there known failures in science?

Thanks
wrote...
Educator
A year ago Edited: A year ago, bio_man
Browsing the internet I've seen there is quite extensive research going on on mind uploading. Does this mean they will eventually succeed?

In my opinion, they will not. If a person loses their limb, they have technology where the patient can control the prosthetic with their mind by somehow connecting it to the nerve endings from where the injury occurred. The movement of the prosthetic is very limited, since we still do not understand how the nervous system is wired due to its complexity. What you're describing goes lightyears beyond what we've accomplished so far as a society in 2022.

Sometimes it feels to me that science has no boundaries and everything will be eventually possible, and this scares me a lot. Is it possible that science sometimes fail? Like in this case? Are there known failures in science?

Science fails all the time. Take a look at the mRNA vaccine they invented; clearly this method of dealing with the disease wasn't as effective as they initially thought it would be. Similarly, all the airplanes we see flying in the air took 1000s of failed test flights before they became the way they are today.

Could you share a study that suggests our conscience can one day be uploaded to a computer?
wrote...
A year ago
Yes, here's a link about this Crying Face

https://books.google.com/books/about/A_Taxonomy_and_Metaphysics_of_Mind_Uploa.html?id=_ipxBAAAQBAJ
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Hi Joan

I reviewed the book using this link, and rest assured that the possibility of this ever being real is lightyears away, if not, impossible.
wrote...
A year ago
That gives me great relief, I appreciate a lot your help bio_man, thanks to you I'll live without so much pain inside me. Billions of thanks
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1331 People Browsing
 118 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249