r
d
l
a
Spiros Spiros
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
2 years ago
I wonder how did you manage to solve this bug in the forum? (I have an SMF forum myself.)
Read 924 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
Hi Spiros

The logic we used was if the string length is less than 2 characters long, we set its value to empty. Thus, when the search is conducted, the word isn't included in the search query.

Does that make sense?
Spiros Author
wrote...
2 years ago
Thanks, bio_man!

Do you have the code edits available? Not a programmer so I could not figure it out myself -:)
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
In
Code:
Search.php

Locate
Code:
elseif ($smcFunc['strlen']($value) < 2)

Within the {, remove the code inside and replace it with:

Code:
$value = '';
unset($searchArray[$index]);

See if that helps
Spiros Author
wrote...
2 years ago
Wow, such a simple thing and they have not changed it in default SMF! Thanks a million!
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
No problem. It is taxing on the server to search all instances of words that are two characters long. So I think there's a reason for that madness 😄
Spiros Author
wrote...
2 years ago Edited: 2 years ago, Spiros
You mean all instances of words that are less than two characters long? But they could simply be skipped/removed from the query before it is passed to the search function.

I see here I get:

"Search tip: Word's that are one character in length are automatically omitted, unless the "phrase is quoted".

Do you use the same code change?
wrote...
Educator
2 years ago
Actually, the code you implemented simply disables the error. You could even remove the $value = ''; and it'll still work.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1169 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion