O
x
d
s
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
I know glutamate is the most active neurotransmitter in the brain, but does it have any function in the body?
Read 124 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
A year ago Edited: A year ago, duddy
Hi! I had to research this some

Bone, skin, pancreas, heart, intestine, lung, and liver also all contain proteins associated with interneuronal glutamate signaling, including vesicular glutamate transporters, AMPA receptors, kainate receptors, NMDA receptors, and EAATs. Furthermore, these components seem to play active roles in intercellular glutamate signaling.

Therefore, outside the brain, we have glutamate again acting as a signaling molecules within these organs. The article goes on to say:

For example, the islets of Langerhans are pancreatic micro-organs containing several types of endocrine cells, which include alpha, beta, delta, PP, and epsilon cells. Glutamate secreted from alpha cells activates AMPA receptors on beta and delta cells, which stimulates them to secrete GABA and somatostatin, which in turn inhibits secretion of glucagon and glutamate from alpha cells (99). Glutamate also autoregulates alpha cell secretion directly via mGluRs (99).
Source  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3368625/
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
That is interesting. Thanks.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  613 People Browsing
 146 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274