t
S
m
s
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
I thought hair loss is sensitivity to DHT on the scalp and over convertion of testosterone into DHT, but is there an over breaking down of normal testosterone also? And does blood flow in the scalp decrease when hair cells shrink, or do hair cells shrink because the scalp blood flow decreases?
Read 288 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
The idea is that the root shrinks because it cannot get the nutrients it needs from the blood due to a build up of DHT. DHT is a the main culprit from the research I've read over the years.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
The idea is that the root shrinks because it cannot get the nutrients it needs from the blood due to a build up of DHT. DHT is a the main culprit from the research I've read over the years.

Is there a particular reason why DHT levels can be the same between two people yet one person keeps their hair?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
While this isn't verified, but I'd assume it's relative to the person's weight, height, age, sex, etc. Have you found data that suggests otherwise? The general consensus is that as 5-alpha-reductase levels increase, more testosterone will be converted into DHT, and greater hair loss will result.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
While this isn't verified, but I'd assume it's relative to the person's weight, height, age, sex, etc. Have you found data that suggests otherwise? The general consensus is that as 5-alpha-reductase levels increase, more testosterone will be converted into DHT, and greater hair loss will result.

I know a guy that was totally bald by 26. I haven't seen a body build pattern among bald guys. Nor any guys that get really fit growing more hair.

Any idea why body hair increases with age? My belly hair is thicker than ever. Stings when it comes in a week after shaving it down. Wish my belly hair was on my head instead.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
Haha 😄

Actually, interesting you mention it, you'll notice that people who are bald grow thicker hair elsewhere. If you're a bearded man, you'll notice it grows thicker in your upper cheek area. That's because DHT somehow promotes growth in those areas whilst impeding hair growth on your head. If you're lucky, your hair loss will be slow enough such that by your 40s, it naturally stops falling out as much due to the fact that testosterone levels begin to decrease by then. Charles Heston is a great example of that. In BenHur he's practically balding, but in later interviews, his hair is much thicker.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Haha 😄 Actually, interesting you mention it, you'll notice that people who are bald grow thicker hair elsewhere. If you're a bearded man, you'll notice it grows thicker in your upper cheek area. That's because DHT somehow promotes growth in those areas whilst impeding hair growth on your head. If you're lucky, your hair loss will be slow enough such that by your 40s, it naturally stops falling out as much due to the fact that testosterone levels begin to decrease by then. Charles Heston is a great example of that. In BenHur he's practically balding, but in later interviews, his hair is much thicker.

I don't understand? Decreased testosterone cause Charlies hair to come back in?

Robin Williams is known for thick body hair. I don't think he ever went bald?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago

No, decreased testosterone caused Heston's remaining hair to thicken, and preventing the remaining hair from falling at the pace it did in his young.

Right, but the roots of his head hair didn't produce the enzyme, hence they were not sensitive to DHT.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
No, decreased testosterone caused Heston's remaining hair to thicken, and preventing the remaining hair from falling at the pace it did in his young.
Right, but the roots of his head hair didn't produce the enzyme, hence they were not sensitive to DHT.

What enzyme?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
5-alpha-reductase
Source  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9558487/
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
5-alpha-reductase

Oh, I didn't know it was produced in the scalp. I assumed the DHT was produced elsewhere and happened to travel through scalp. Hence Propecia as a pill versus something more topical.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
I believe only the unfortunate one's produce it in the scale, leading to decreased blood flow, and in turn, hair loss.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I believe only the unfortunate one's produce it in the scale, leading to decreased blood flow, and in turn, hair loss.

Hopefully gene therapy can make the necessary change to make hair grow again without future medical interventions.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  884 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images