r
d
l
a
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
Do antidepressants like SSRI and others help or hinder meditation and mindfulness?
Read 148 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
A year ago
Yes, why would there be a conflict?
Ask another question, I may be able to help!
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
Given that antidepressants fundamentally alter how the brain and mind work (and hence should be avoided), it wouldn't surprise me if they hinder to some extent meditation. However, it doesn’t automatically rule out meditation.

On a side-note, I do believe in prayer, and how prayer can help anyone overcome their problems through God's saving grace.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Yes, why would there be a conflict?

I don't know. It just always seemed to interfere with deep concentration last time I was on an SSRI.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
I read an entire article on this exact topic, and still couldn't come up with a conclusion to this question!

It tries answering:

"If medications like anti-depressants affect the brain, do they impede true mindfulness? Or do they help achieve it? Is there a mindful way to use medication and other treatments for severe mental illness?"

But fails to do so.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/psychiatry-and-society/201910/meditation-medication-and-the-middle-way
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I read an entire article on this exact topic, and still couldn't come up with a conclusion to this question! It tries answering: "If medications like anti-depressants affect the brain, do they impede true mindfulness? Or do they help achieve it? Is there a mindful way to use medication and other treatments for severe mental illness?" But fails to do so. https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/psychiatry-and-society/201910/meditation-medication-and-the-middle-way

Hmm, well sometimes no clear answers are good too. Hopefully our minds aren't just our brains in this physical world. Lol.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1180 People Browsing
 106 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?