t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
A year ago
I smell a little corrosive gas from clean for a few seconds and then run away,
After all corrosive gas is removed within 10-30 minutes, I rinse my nose with diluted salt water (500ml) + warm clean water (1500ml), I repeat this cleaning steps 2 more times within the same day.
Next morning, when I wake up, I feel my nose is dry and seems lost sense of smell, I repeat cleaning step one more times in the morning and go to emergence room, doctor only see little red inside my nose, without any headache, so doctor gives me Sodium Chlorine 0.9% Nasal Douche 25 ml for cleaning.

For  losing sense of smell, I would like to know on whether it is temporary or not, if yes, how long would it last? Furthermore, why do I lose sense of smell in biological viewpoints?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Read 213 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Oftentimes losing your sense of smell is temporary. It happens when olfactory receptor neurons are oversaturated. Certainly by now it has gotten back to normal?

Olfactory transduction and olfactory receptor molecules.

(A) Odorants in the mucus bind directly (or are shuttled via odorant binding proteins) to one of many receptor molecules located in the membranes of the cilia. This association activates an odorant-specific G-protein (Golf) that, in turn, activates an adenylate cyclase, resulting in the generation of cyclic AMP (cAMP). One target of cAMP is a cation-selective channel that, when open, permits the influx of Na+ and Ca2+ into the cilia, resulting in depolarization. The ensuing increase in intracellular Ca2+ opens Ca2+-gated Cl- channels that provide most of the depolarization of the olfactory receptor potential. The receptor potential is reduced in magnitude when cAMP is broken down by specific phosphodiesterases to reduce its concentration. At the same time, Ca2+ complexes with calmodulin (Ca2+-CAM) and binds to the channel, reducing its affinity for CAMP. Finally, Ca2+ is extruded through the Ca2+/Na+ exchange pathway.

(B) The generic structure of putative olfactory odorant receptors. These proteins have seven transmembrane domains, plus a variable cell surface region and a cytoplasmic tail that interacts with G-proteins. As many as 1000 genes encode proteins of similar inferred structure in several mammalian species, including humans. Each gene presumably encodes an odorant receptor that detects distinct sets of odorant molecules.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago
Yes, it has gotten back to normal now.
Thank you very much for suggestions (^v^)
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Yes, it has gotten back to normal now. Thank you very much for suggestions (^v^)

Appreciate the update!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  935 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741