t
S
m
s
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
Who studies human shapes and basic functionality? Some type of bio anthropologist? Like why the eyeball is a particular shape? Why our feet are a certain way to carry our weight. If there is mathematical and geometric reasons for certain shapes versus strictly genetics and past survival.
Read 299 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
Anthropologist comes to mind. I've in several anthro classes, and that's one of the topics they explore. In addition, anthropology examines how people live, what they think, what they produce, and how they interact with their environments, etc.

Like why the eyeball is a particular shape?

That's something we looked at when we took physiology. Apparently there is an article on biological anthropology on Wikipedia, and an entire journal dedicated to anthro-physiology.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Anthropologist comes to mind. I've in several anthro classes, and that's one of the topics they explore. In addition, anthropology examines how people live, what they think, what they produce, and how they interact with their environments, etc.
Like why the eyeball is a particular shape?
That's something we looked at when we took physiology. Apparently there is an article on biological anthropology on Wikipedia, and an entire journal dedicated to anthro-physiology.

I don't suppose they address golden ratios, golden spirals, and patterns found in nature beyond just in humans?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
That's more in the realms of what a mathematician would look at. Scientists and mathematicians works together all the time
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
That's more in the realms of what a mathematician would look at. Scientists and mathematicians works together all the time

I just want to believe more drives humans evolution than recombining our DNA every generation. There must be patterns in nature? Correct builds? I want to believe it can be known what a bad DNA change looks like or bad shape for different parts to function. As I've gotten older my face has gotten longer and more narrow and I seem to have developed face nerve pain that made me feel like throwing up all day like a involuntary twitch. I had to go on an anticonvulsant to control the pain, and I worry about when that might fail me. I am only 42. It becomes more and more clear to me that nothing good happens after 35. I want there to be a road left that I can go back down, but I am constantly worried the data is destroyed forever.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
Sorry to hear that about you, and I hope you do see better days. From my earlier discussions I had with you, I think most of your problems originated after your car accident. It is what lead to the pain, which lead to the medication,  that eventually turned into side-effects. However, aging beyond 35 for most people feels no different than what it's like to age beyond 30. Lots of men reach their prime in the looks department while in their 30s/40s (contingent that they do a decent job taking care of themselves). In fact, many women find men to be most attractive as they get older. If that's a fact, then being >35 years old is a blessing for many men; you gain the most wisdom in those years, you get to see your children grow up, you reach your career goals, and you can officially run for president, etc. Thus, some might perceive aging to be a gift in disguise.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Sorry to hear that about you, and I hope you do see better days. From my earlier discussions I had with you, I think most of your problems originated after your car accident. It is what lead to the pain, which lead to the medication, that eventually turned into side-effects. However, aging beyond 35 for most people feels no different than what it's like to age beyond 30. Lots of men reach their prime in the looks department while in their 30s/40s (contingent that they do a decent job taking care of themselves). In fact, many women find men to be most attractive as they get older. If that's a fact, then being >35 years old is a blessing for many men; you gain the most wisdom in those years, you get to see your children grow up, you reach your career goals, and you can officially run for president, etc. Thus, some might perceive aging to be a gift in disguise.

I had a neck injury from a fall. Not a car accident. I started having face pain most directly after getting Covid-19. Someone else in a trigeminal neuralgia support group has made a same connection. In any event to my knowledge gene therapy seems like the only remedy for nerve damage repair. I don't want to be on medication, but I can't function anymore without it. I have seen my friends turn 30 then 35. They are a shadow of who they were, and definitely don't have much energy to spare.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1114 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370