S
m
s
mohamedd mohamedd
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A year ago
 *Question 1

When a new Home Depot opens in a small town, local hardware store owners go into panic mode. Home Depot offers such low prices that smaller businesses can find it hard to compete. A big chain hardware store like Home Depot may offer big discounts, but they cannot offer the depth of knowledge and personal attention that is given in a small hardware store. One trip to a Home Depot with its maze of wide aisles should make us all run out and support a locally-owned hardware store.

The above passage is 

a-pro-Home Depot                              b-biased against Home Depot

c-neutral                                                d-objective

*Question 2

“Life with Cooper: “Working the Trains”

On this particular Wednesday night, I was in my seat early so I got to hear Cooper’s exchanges with familiar (and not so familiar) people as they boarded the train. These interactions were fairly typical. Some of the passengers asked, “How many stops to Orange?” and Cooper quickly rattled off a response which included what zone that stop was in. Somebody asked if the train stopped in Newark Penn to which Cooper replied, “No. You need to get off this train and go back to 7. I believe that that is where the train to Trenton is. This train doesn’t go there.”

What is the purpose of this article?

a-to educate                         b-to argue 

c-to narrate                          d-to entertain

*Question 3

Sometimes, certain facts will be left out of a story, and others will be included. 

This is an example of what type of bias

a-Bias through placement            b-Bias through names and titles

c-Bias through commission.        d-Bias through controlling the source.

*Question 4

In the 1980’s a global economy emerged which has hurt the United States in terms of trade deficits. 2. U.S.consumers are buying more foreign cars than ones made in America. 3. Given how our auto industry is suffering, it is almost unpatriotic to buy foreign-produced cars. 4. Consumers in the United States should consider buying more American-produced items in general in order to bring our trade deficits down and make Americans proud of our manufacturing base again. 

What is the author’s attitude in the above passage?

a-The author is biased against globalization in business

b-The author is biased against American business

c-The author reports the changes in the U.S. economy in a neutral and objective tone

d-The author feels that foreign cars are better made than American cars

*Question 5

1. In the 1980’s a global economy emerged which has hurt the United States in terms of trade deficits. 2. U.S.consumers are buying more foreign cars than ones made in America. 3. Given how our auto industry is suffering, it is almost unpatriotic to buy foreign-produced cars. 4. Consumers in the United States should consider buying more American-produced items in general in order to bring our trade deficits down and make Americans proud of our manufacturing base again. 

The most neutral sentence in the above passage is

a- sentence 1           b- sentence 2

c- sentence 3          d- sentence 4

*Question 6

“A Dip in the Poole”

After all, Andrew J. Stuyvesant had been my mark from the moment I first noticed him entering the Hotel Poole that morning—and after a three-hour vigil I had been within fifteen seconds of dipping him myself when she appeared virtually out of nowhere. Wouldn’t you say I was entitled to the swag?

Why was this passage written?

a- to condemn                      b- to praise

c- to entertain                      d- to persuade

*Question 7

The U.S. corporate tax rate should be lowered in order to encourage companies to do business in the U.S. rather than overseas. The current U.S. corporate tax rate is among the highest in the world at around 39.2 percent. By comparison, China’s corporate tax rate as of 2011 was 25% and Iceland’s rate stands at 20%. Businesses want to invest in people and communities but also need to turn a profit in order to survive. If the U.S. corporate tax is lowered, businesses will have the incentive they need to operate in the U.S.

The above passage is

a- pro-business       b-anti-business

c- neutral                   d-objective

*Question 8

Which of the following is used to describe businesses positively?

a-Businesses want to invest in people and communities…

b-The current U.S. tax rate is among the highest in the world…

c-If the U.S. Corporate tax rate is lowered, businesses will have the incentive…

d-The U.S. corporate tax rate should be lowered…

*Question 9

“Fear the College Years” (Author and adult literacy proponent, John Corcoran, speaking):

A few weeks later, on a hot August day, I left home dressed in a suit and tie, looking for all the world like a hotshot businessman, and drove to a small, inconspicuous office in the next town. I was told the sign said, “Adult Learning Center of Carlsbad.”

I didn’t hear a voice from heaven, but as I walked in the door – 48 years old, frustrated, maybe even desperate— it was the beginning of my new life and the birth of a miracle.

Why was this passage written?

a-to inspire           b-to investigate 

c-to entertain       d-to persuade

*Question 10

U.S corporations are among most ethical in the world. American business schools have a long tradition of studying business ethics, and American companies have a long tradition of giving back to communities through philanthropic work. And an even more positive development is the trend of investing ethically, which has spurred companies to consider their business practices. Overall, business practice is better than it has been in its entire history. 

The above passage is

a-pro-American business          b-anti-American business

c-neutral                                        d-objective

Read 124 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
AnonymousAnonymous
wrote...
A year ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 840 words.