l
t
S
m
s
Anonymous sara5656
wrote...
A year ago
1) Rainbow trout go through a unique genetic reproductive process. Female eggs are diploid, while male sperm are haploid. In the wild, when the sperm fertilizes an egg, the extra set of chromosomes is eliminated, resulting in a diploid offspring.

The process that produces the sperm and egg, and the process the offspring use to grow into adults are, respectively,

a.  Process to produce sperm and egg                                    Process used for growth of the offspring
                            Meiosis                                                                                                Cytokinesis

b.  Process to produce sperm and egg                                    Process used for growth of the offspring
                           Mitosis                                                                                                    Cytokinesis

c.  Process to produce sperm and egg                                    Process used for growth of the offspring
                          Meiosis                                                                                                       Mitosis

d.   Process to produce sperm and egg                                   Process used for growth of the offspring
                            Mitosis                                                                                                   Meiosis

2) SEE IMAGE ATTACHED TO ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTION.

Identify the type of cells undergoing cell division in phases 1 and 8 in the diagram above.

a. Phase 1                                       Phase 8
Daughter cell                               Germ cell

b. Phase 1                                       Phase 8   
Gamete                                        Somatic cell

c. Phase 1                                       Phase 8
Germ cell                                        Gamete

d. Phase 1                                       Phase 8
Somatic cell                                Daughter cell

3) SEE SECOND PHOTO ATTACHED

Determine the haploid and diploid numbers, respectively, of the chromosomes in the cell division process illustrated above.

a. 8 and 4

b. 4 and 2

c. 4 and 8

d. 2 and 4

B) The cell process represented in the illustration above is

a. Reduction division

b. Cleavage

c. Mitotic division

d. Fertilization

4) SEE THRID PHOTO TO ANSWER
Which of the following events occur in the stage of cell division illustrated above?

a. Homologous chromosomes align at the equator

b. Sister chromatids separate

c. Daughter cells form

d. DNA replication

5) During which stage(s) of meiosis do you expect to find tetrads?

a. Prophase I only

b. Prophase I and metaphase I

c. Prophase I, metaphase I, and anaphase I

d. Prophase I and prophase II

6) The stages of meiosis where independent assortment occurs and crossing over begins, respectively, are

a. Metaphase II and prophase I

b. Metaphase I and prophase I

c. Metaphase I and II and prophase I and II

d. Metaphase I and prophase II

7) Use the following information to answer the next question.

During meiosis, homologous chromosomes synapse and form tetrads. In a homologous pair, one of the chromosomes comes from the mother (maternal homologue) and one comes from the father (paternal homologue).

Since replication occurs before meiosis, each tetrad consists of four chromatids (tetra means four). The chromatids of the same homologue are called sister chromatids, and the chromatids of different homologues are called non-sister chromatids.

If the maternal homologue carries allele A and the paternal homologue carries allele a for a certain gene, which of the following will have different alleles for this gene?

a. Sister chromatids

b. Non-sister chromatids

c. None of the chromatids, since each chromatid in a tetrad contains the same allele

d. All four chromatids, since each chromatid in a tetrad has a different allele

8) Germ cells are specialized cells that develop into gametes. Gametes are produced through the process of meiosis.

If the diploid number for humans is 46 chromosomes, how many chromatids does a cell undergoing meiosis have at each of the following phases?

Select the row that correctly shows the number of chromatids at each phase.

a.    G2 of Interphase                    Metaphase I                         Prophase II
                 46                                            46                                          23

b.    G2 of Interphase                     Metaphase I                       Prophase II
                   46                                          92                                            23

c.    G2 of Interphase                   Metaphase I                          Prophase II
                  92                                          46                                           46

d.    G2 of Interphase                     Metaphase I                         Prophase II
                 92                                              92                                           46

9) In an organism with a diploid number of 16, how many chromatids are present in each of the following phases:

Answer                                                      Answer                                                   Answer
 Mitotic metaphase                                   Meiotic metaphase I                            Meiotic metaphase II

10) SEE IMAGE 4 TO ANSWER
Use the following diagram to answer the next question.

The following diagram represents a tetrad in prophase I. Each line (1–4) represents a chromatid (DNA molecule). Each letter represents a gene.

For the three genes shown, indicate the alleles that will be found on Chromatids 2 and 3, respectively, if no crossing over occurs between the genes.

a. aBc and AbC

b. ABC and abc

c. aBC and Abc

d. Abc and aBC

11) SEE IMAGE 5 
Use the following diagram and information to help you answer the next question.

The circles in the diagram below represent the centromere at which two chromatids are joined together.  The red and the blue chromosomes shown are a homologous pair.  The "X" represents the location where a crossover occurs. 

Crossing over is more likely to occur between genes that are relatively far apart than between genes that are relatively close together. 

For the three genes shown, identify the row that shows the position of the alleles after the crossover occurs.

a.    Gamete 1                                  Gamete 2                                             Gamete 3                                         Gamete 4
          Abc                                             Abc                                                          aBC                                                   aBC

b.    Gamete 1                                  Gamete 2                                              Gamete 3                                        Gamete 4
          Abc                                              ABc                                                           abC                                                aBC

c.    Gamete 1                                   Gamete 2                                             Gamete 3                                          Gamete 4
            Abc                                             AbC                                                      aBc                                                       aBC

d.    Gamete 1                                   Gamete 2                                              Gamete 3                                         Gamete 4
          AbC                                               AbC                                                         aBc                                                   aBc

12) USE IMAGE 6 T0 ANSWER

Use the following information to answer the next question.

During metaphase I of meiosis, tetrads align along the metaphase plate independently of each other. Therefore, there is a random “shuffle” of maternal and paternal chromosomes in the resulting gametes.

The following diagram demonstrates how this works in a diploid cell with four chromosomes open parentheses 2n = 4 close parentheses. Because there are two pairs of chromosomes and each pair can align in one of two ways during metaphase I, the number of possible variations in the gametes produced is 2 ^2, or 4.

For an organism that is 2n = 6, there are three pairs of chromosomes, so the number of possible variations in the gametes produced due to independent assortment in metaphase I is 2 ^3, or 8.

In an organism with a haploid number of 7, how many possible combinations of maternal and paternal chromosomes can occur in its gametes?

a. 2 ^ 7 = 128

b. 2 ^ 14 = 16 384

c. 7 ^2 = 49

d. 1 ^ 7 = 7

13) A Biology 30 student is describing, to a friend, the differences between mitosis and meiosis. She highlights the following characteristics of these processes.

For each statement, select the process described from the dropdown menu.

A. involves two rounds of cell division                                                          Answer

B. results in daughter cells that are identical to the parent cell            Answer

C.   creates gametes   Answer

D.   happens in somatic cells, such as stomach lining cells   Answer

E. involves duplication of genetic material                       Answer

POSSIBLE ANSWERS; MITOSIS, MEIOSIS MITOSIS AND MEIOSIS, NEITHER

Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 183 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
habibahabiba
wrote...
Staff Member
Top Poster
A year ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 300 words.
Ask another question, I may be able to help!