t
S
m
s
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
I know there are a number of people that make it to 100 or closer to 120 these days, but do any people make it much past 90 with some prescription or another?
Read 288 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
Old people are prescribed medicine if they're sick; if they're not sick, they do not need medicine. You're making the assumption that all old people are on medication; I'm not sure this conjecture is true.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Old people are prescribed medicine if they're sick; if they're not sick, they do not need medicine. You're making the assumption that all old people are on medication; I'm not sure this conjecture is true.

Aren't quite a lot of them on blood pressure medication or statins? Maybe metformin to at least stabilize sugar spikes? I am just wondering if any of the oldest people in the world are from 3rd world countries without modern medicine.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
In the Western world, yes, quite a lot are on medication, but not everywhere. In Japan, for instance, people live to 90 without the intervention of medication; just healthy eating and strong family ties.

I think you might find this interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/25/worlds-dirtiest-man-dies-in-iran-at-94-a-few-months-after-first-wash
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
In the Western world, yes, quite a lot are on medication, but not everywhere. In Japan, for instance, people live to 90 without the intervention of medication; just healthy eating and strong family ties. I think you might find this interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/25/worlds-dirtiest-man-dies-in-iran-at-94-a-few-months-after-first-wash

Well the start of it is funny, but I can't read it without membership.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
The point I'm trying to make is that we're constantly told to sanitize and wash our hands after every activity we do, but here's a man who lived his entire life in filth. To me, this implies that perhaps the scientific community has gotten many things about our wellbeing and has influenced many wrong habits, which includes taking meds when you can live without them. I realize this isn't for everybody, as some people have suffered needlessly due to non-stop release of toxins into the environment, leading to illnesses that our ancestors never experienced.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  958 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?