r
d
l
a
s
Anonymous Carolina Castillo2
wrote...
A year ago
1) Use the following information to answer the next two questions.

Nondisjunction is an error in meiosis that results in non-separation of chromosomes during anaphase. Nondisjunction can occur during anaphase I or anaphase II of meiosis.

A) Which of the following correctly describes the gametes that will form as a result of nondisjunction during anaphase II in a human male?

a. Two sperm with 24 chromosomes and two sperm with 22 chromosomes

b. Two sperm with 23 chromosomes, one sperm with 22 chromosomes, and one sperm with 24 chromosomes

c. Four sperm with 24 chromosomes

d. Four sperm with 22 chromosomes

B) Which of the following statements is true?

a. More gametes will be affected if nondisjunction occurs during anaphase II than if nondisjunction occurs during anaphase I.

b. More gametes will be affected if nondisjunction occurs during anaphase I than if nondisjunction occurs during anaphase II.

c. Nondisjunction during anaphase I or anaphase II will have no effect on the gametes formed.

d. Nondisjunction during anaphase I or anaphase II will have the same effect.

2) Oogenesis involves germ cells in the ovary undergoing meiosis to produce a functional ovum at the end of the process.

Which of the following cells is penetrated by a sperm cell during the process of fertilization?

a. Oogonia

b. Secondary oocyte

c. Primary oocyte

d. Ovum

3) SEE IMAGE ATTACHED

Use the following information to answer the next two questions.

Basidiomycota is a division of the Kingdom Fungi. They include groups such as mushrooms, and reproduce sexually through the formation of cells called basidia.

A) Which of the following rows identifies Process 1 and Process 3 in the life cycle shown in the diagram?

a.    Process 1                        Process 3
       Meiosis                               Mitosis

b.   Process 1                          Process 3
        Mitosis                                Meiosis

c.   Process 1                           Process 3
      Meiosis                                 Meiosis

d.   Process 1                           Process 3
       Mitosis                                   Mitosis

B) Indicate the ploidy for each of the following cells indicated on the life cycle diagram above.   
Haploid = 1
Diploid = 2

zygote               Answer

basidiospores                 Answer

basidium with four nuclei                Answer

mycelia                           Answer

4) The giant panda has a diploid number of 42, which includes a pair of sex chromosomes that is analogous to human sex chromosomes (X and Y).

The karyotype of a male panda of the giant panda species would show Answer pairs of homologous autosomes and one pair of Answer sex chromosomes.

1) possible answers: 20 , 21 , 40 ,41
2) possible answer: homologous,   non- homologous.

5) Why is parthenogenesis in bees considered to be a form of asexual reproduction?

a. The haploid male bees were made through the process of meiosis, so they are identical to the parent egg cell.

b. The male drone develops from a haploid egg. Fertilization is not part of the process to make a male drone.

c. The formation of the original haploid cell was achieved using binary fission.

d. Although genetic material is transferred from one cell to another using conjugation, the resulting cells will be identical to each other.

6) see 2 image attached

Determine whether the structure in the life cycle of a moss is haploid or diploid and determine the process used to make the structure.

1 - Haploid
2 - Diploid

A - Mitosis
B - Meiosis
C - Fertilization

Gametophyte                Answer                                Answer

Sporophyte                   Answer                                Answer

Spore                           Answer                                 Answer

Zygote                         Answer                                  Answer

Egg                               Answer                                      Answer

7) Since the seedless bananas are triploid (3n ), and do not produce viable seeds for reproduction. To grow more seedless banana plants, farmers take a side shoot and replant it.

This type of reproduction is asexual because

a. meiosis does not occur.

b. budding does not occur.

c. binary fission does not occur.

d. mitosis does not occur.

8) see 3 image attached

Use the following information to answer the next three questions.

The diagram below illustrates the lifecycle of the parasite - Toxoplasma gondii.  This single celled organism causes the disease, Toxoplasmosis, which can be transferred to humans when cleaning out litter boxes.

A) Which of the following rows correctly identifies the processes 1, 2, and 3 numbered above?

a.   Process 1                Process 2                   Process 3
      Meiosis                      Mitosis                      Fertilization

b.   Process 1                 Process 2                    Process 3
      Meiosis                  Fertilization                      Mitosis

c.  Process 1                Process 2                      Process 3
   Fertilization                 Mitosis                        Meiosis

d.  Process 1                Process 2                       Process 3
     Mitosis                    Fertilization                       Meiosis

B) What is the ploidy of the zygote during the life cycle of Toxoplasma gondii?

a. 2n

b. 3n

c. 4n

d. 1n

C) The haploid genome of Toxoplasma gondii has 14 chromosomes. When an oocyst changes into a sporozoite, its nucleus contains

a. 28 chromosomes

b. 14 chromosomes

c. 7 chromosomes

d. 42 chromosomes

Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 192 times
2 Replies