t
S
m
s
Anonymous samantacastillo
wrote...
A year ago
1) SEE IMAGE TO ANSWER:
Which of the following events occur in the stage of cell division illustrated above?

a. Homologous chromosomes align at the equator

b. Sister chromatids separate

c. Daughter cells form

d. DNA replication

2) During which stage(s) of meiosis do you expect to find tetrads?

a. Prophase I only

b. Prophase I and metaphase I

c. Prophase I, metaphase I, and anaphase I

d. Prophase I and prophase II

3) The stages of meiosis where independent assortment occurs and crossing over begins, respectively, are

a. Metaphase II and prophase I

b. Metaphase I and prophase I

c. Metaphase I and II and prophase I and II

d. Metaphase I and prophase II

4) Use the following information to answer the next question.

During meiosis, homologous chromosomes synapse and form tetrads. In a homologous pair, one of the chromosomes comes from the mother (maternal homologue) and one comes from the father (paternal homologue).

Since replication occurs before meiosis, each tetrad consists of four chromatids (tetra means four). The chromatids of the same homologue are called sister chromatids, and the chromatids of different homologues are called non-sister chromatids.

If the maternal homologue carries allele A and the paternal homologue carries allele a for a certain gene, which of the following will have different alleles for this gene?

a. Sister chromatids

b. Non-sister chromatids

c. None of the chromatids, since each chromatid in a tetrad contains the same allele

d. All four chromatids, since each chromatid in a tetrad has a different allele

5) Germ cells are specialized cells that develop into gametes. Gametes are produced through the process of meiosis.

If the diploid number for humans is 46 chromosomes, how many chromatids does a cell undergoing meiosis have at each of the following phases?

Select the row that correctly shows the number of chromatids at each phase.

a. G2 of Interphase                       Metaphase I                     Prophase II
             46                                               46                                       23

b. G2 of Interphase                     Metaphase I                      Prophase II
             46                                                92                                        23

c. G2 of Interphase                      Metaphase I                       Prophase II
              92                                                46                                 46

d. G2 of Interphase                      Metaphase I                       Prophase II
              92                                                92                                      46

6) In an organism with a diploid number of 16, how many chromatids are present in each of the following phases:

Answer                                             Answer                                         Answer
Mitotic metaphase                  Meiotic metaphase I                  Meiotic metaphase II

7) SEE 2 IMAGE ATTACHED

Use the following diagram to answer the next question.

The following diagram represents a tetrad in prophase I. Each line (1–4) represents a chromatid (DNA molecule). Each letter represents a gene.

For the three genes shown, indicate the alleles that will be found on Chromatids 2 and 3, respectively, if no crossing over occurs between the genes.

a. aBc and AbC

b. ABC and abc

c. aBC and Abc

d. Abc and aBC

8) SEE IMAGE 3

9) SEE IMAGE 4 TO ANSWER

During metaphase I of meiosis, tetrads align along the metaphase plate independently of each other. Therefore, there is a random “shuffle” of maternal and paternal chromosomes in the resulting gametes.

The following diagram demonstrates how this works in a diploid cell with four chromosomes open parentheses 2 n equals 4 close parentheses. Because there are two pairs of chromosomes and each pair can align in one of two ways during metaphase I, the number of possible variations in the gametes produced is 2 squared, or 4.

For an organism that is 2 n equals 6, there are three pairs of chromosomes, so the number of possible variations in the gametes produced due to independent assortment in metaphase I is 2 cubed, or 8.

In an organism with a haploid number of 7, how many possible combinations of maternal and paternal chromosomes can occur in its gametes?

a. 2 to the power of 7 equals 128

b. 2 to the power of 14 equals 16 space 384

c. 7 squared equals 49

d. 1 to the power of 7 equals 7

10) A Biology 30 student is describing, to a friend, the differences between mitosis and meiosis. She highlights the following characteristics of these processes.

For each statement, select the process described from the dropdown menu.

A.
involves two rounds of cell division   Answer

B.
results in daughter cells that are identical to the parent cell   Answer

C.   creates gametes   Answer

D.   happens in somatic cells, such as stomach lining cells   Answer

E.
involves duplication of genetic material

POSSIBLE ANSWERS: MEIOSIS, MITOSIS , MITOSIS AND MEIOSIS OR NEITHER
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 270 times
4 Replies