t
S
m
s
Naithi O_Rea Naithi O_Rea
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
A year ago
Something I have been thinking about recently is how amazing humans are at learning (perhaps I think that because I'm part of the species.. lol)

Like, hunter-gatherers seem to live a pretty simple life. They don't seem to have anywhere near the number in their social network, they make a limited number of tools, only have to remember a certain number of plants and whatever else in their environment to remember.

I just feel like we seem to be able to learn how to do things really easily, like i am typing here on a computer, we drive cars (we build cars), just so many things... also our maths ability, how we can problem solve... All for a species that, if an individual's upbringing was differerent, would be living in a tribe. Like.. if i tried hard enough, i could memorise an insane number of arbitrary things, like, way more than seems would be necessary to live as a hunter-gatherer.

IDK.. We just seem to be smarter than we need to be. Love thoughts?

I was thinking maybe, some sexual selection might be at play here. Maybe perhaps competition between individuals or between tribes/clans (whatever), but then i was thinking, like, technological advancements were incredibly slow in the distantish to distant past... is it really that important to 'out smart' a rival.

Anyway.. Would be interested in any thoughts. I am no hunter-gatherer expert, and maybe not giving these ancestors of ours enough credit.

Read 84 times
1 Reply