t
i
r
r
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
Do the quality of a shark's teeth decrease with each new one, or are they pretty much identical  from youth to old age?
Read 198 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Because the regeneration rate is so frequent, I don't think something like this has ever been studied.

Of all my years, I never knew shark teeth last a single week before replacing!
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I only ask because I have read of human studies for prompting growth of new adult teeth, but was concerned that they might be inferior to the first adult teeth.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
I don't think sharks make a good model for humans anyway. Perhaps rodents would make a better model? - given that their incisors never stop growing. Perhaps we could see stem cells being used to reactivate the process that generates the formation of teeth in the womb. I'm not entirely sure of this, but I think the permanent teeth begin to develop in the womb, even though they don't appear until 6 years after birth (that is, after the baby teeth fall out).

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?article=343
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Well I think they have successfully promoted new teeth to grow in mice using stem cells and other substances, and I think they base that on animals that naturally continue to grow teeth like sharks. One big issue is we have like 4 teeth types while sharks have one. And they may need to grow and push through in sequence to ensure appropriate spacing.

I didn't realize permanent teeth were developing before birth? I assumed the mouth wouldn't be large enough for all of them anytime soon.
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
I didn't realize permanent teeth were developing before birth? I assumed the mouth wouldn't be large enough for all of them anytime soon.

The stem cells responsible for their growth is present during fetal development, and I'd assume their growth kicks in a little bit at a time leading up to the time the first baby teeth fall out.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1319 People Browsing
 122 Signed Up Today
Related Images