S
m
s
Naithi O_Rea Naithi O_Rea
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
A year ago
Hey guys.
I am trying to do a bit of a Google search around as to what actually forms the hollow part of a blastula.
My understanding is a morula is not hollow, and then something happens where it is hollow.
I feel like I've also read that the at this stage of development, the embryo is the same size of the zygote, so is there apoptosis, or something that leaves the gap.
Love any insights.
Read 169 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
A year ago
When the embryo consists of a hundred or more cells post fertilization, it forms a morula, a ball of cells which resemble a mulberry. In most species the mass then resolves itself into a single layer of cells forming a hollow sphere, the blastula. Through the process called cavitation, the morula becomes hollow; this is where the cells in the interior of the morula actively move apart from each other, creating a fluid-filled cavity called the blastocoel. This process is triggered by changes in cell shape and changes in the distribution of substances within the cells. The resulting blastocoel then allows for further growth and differentiation of the cells into the various tissues and organs of the developing embryo.

More info on cavitation is found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation_(embryology)

Naithi O. Author
wrote...
A year ago
I have already read this.

What confuses me is, as I've said, I have read before that the blastula is the same size as the zygote.... The morula is hollow... and 'the cells move apart'. How do they move apart without making the whole structure bigger?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
Hello Naithi O_Rea,

Just a few corrections. Blastula is not the same size as the zygote. The zygote is a single fertilized cell! That is, a zygote is the initial cell formed when two gamete cells (sperm and egg) fuse during fertilization (day 0).

The morula is not hollow, it is a solid bunch of cells clumped together without a distinct shape other than how you'd describe a mulberry to look, but microscopic of course.

Once the morula is ready to form into the blastula (around day 5 of fertilization), it is made up of 24 to 32 cells.  The outermost cells secret fluid, which accumulates to a fluid-filled cavity, the blastocoel, giving rise to the blastocyst.
Source  https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/morula
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  916 People Browsing
 113 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293