t
i
r
r
RioNii RioNii
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
A year ago
Before we have our real debate, we were given this mock debate between Free Will and Determinism. Me and one of my classmates got paired up.  I was given Determinism as my side to defend and argue about. Please help me how to make an introduction favoring Determinism.
Read 189 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
Determinism and Free Will have long been debated in philosophy and psychology, and the question of whether human beings have complete control over their actions or whether their actions are predetermined by external factors remains a contentious issue. While both arguments have their strengths and weaknesses, in this debate, I would like to present the perspective favoring determinism. Determinism argues that all events, including human actions, are ultimately determined by preceding causes and conditions, and therefore, free will is merely an illusion. This viewpoint suggests that every decision we make, every action we take, and every thought we have is influenced by a range of factors, including genetics, upbringing, social conditioning, and external stimuli. In this way, determinism claims that we are not truly in control of our lives but are rather the product of our environment and experiences. In the following discussion, I will explore the evidence and arguments that support determinism and why it provides a more compelling explanation of human behavior than the concept of free will.
RioNii Author
wrote...
A year ago
Thank you very much sir!!! How can this introduction be elaborated further sir?
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
You asked for an introduction, so it shouldn't be longer than what was provided. However, you have to do your research into these points, so that you have more to talk about.
Answer rejected by topic starter
wrote...
10 months ago
Determinism and Free Will have long been debated in philosophy and psychology, and the question of whether human beings have complete control over their actions or whether their actions are predetermined by external factors remains a contentious issue. While both arguments have their strengths and weaknesses, in this debate, I would like to present the perspective favoring determinism. Determinism argues that all events, including human actions, are ultimately determined by preceding causes and conditions, and therefore, free will is merely an illusion. This viewpoint suggests that every decision we make, every action we take, and every thought we have is influenced by a range of factors, including genetics, upbringing, social conditioning, and external stimuli. In this way, determinism claims that we are not truly in control of our lives but are rather the product of our environment and experiences. In the following discussion, I will explore the evidence and arguments that support determinism and why it provides a more compelling explanation of human behavior than the concept of free will.

Here are some ideas on how to continue this introduction:
Analyze the role of genetics
Examine the impact of upbringing
Discuss the power of social conditioning
Examine the impact of environmental factors
Discuss the findings from neuroscience
Address counterarguments (such as the subjective experience of free will and the concept of "compatibilism" that seeks to reconcile determinism with limited forms of free will. Critically evaluate these opposing viewpoints to strengthen the overall argument for determinism)
By studying these questions, you will be well prepared.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  888 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431