Read 681 times
21 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
There are six muscles responsible for moving each eye around. These muscles are called the extraocular muscles, and they are attached to the outer surface of the eyeball. The six extraocular muscles are:

Lateral rectus muscle: This muscle moves the eye outward, away from the nose.

Medial rectus muscle: This muscle moves the eye inward, towards the nose.

Superior rectus muscle: This muscle elevates the eye and also rotates it inward.

Inferior rectus muscle: This muscle depresses the eye and also rotates it inward.

Superior oblique muscle: This muscle depresses the eye and also rotates it outward.

Inferior oblique muscle: This muscle elevates the eye and also rotates it outward.

This video should cover all terms:

oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago Edited: A year ago, oemBiology
Referring to video, would following exercise stretch eye muscles?
Step 1 take your gaze from left and right
Step 2 look up to the ceiling and down to the floor
Step 3 roll your eyes clockwise and anti-closkwise

Muscle on my top eyeball is tire and painful, when I look up to the ceiling for a few minute.
This feeling is gone.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

Post Merge: A year ago

The tire and pain area is at the top of eyeball, I think it related to Superior rectus muscle.
When I look upward, would Superior rectus muscle contract?
Would this movement give exercise to strength Superior rectus muscle?
After exercise and increase blood circulation around  Superior rectus muscle, then tire and pain are gone, would it be correct?

Superior rectus muscle: This muscle elevates the eye and also rotates it inward.

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
I believe there are effective ways to exercise and strengthen your eye muscles. Some examples of eye exercises include:

Palming: Rub your palms together until they feel warm, then place them over your eyes for a few minutes to relax and soothe them.

Blinking: Blink your eyes rapidly for a few seconds, then close your eyes and relax them for a few seconds. Repeat several times.

Focusing: Hold a pen or pencil at arm's length and focus on the tip. Slowly bring the pen closer to your eyes, then move it away again, continuing to focus on the tip.

Eye rotations: Look up, then down, then left, then right, then circle your eyes clockwise and counterclockwise.

When I look upward, would Superior rectus muscle contract?
Would this movement give exercise to strength Superior rectus muscle?
After exercise and increase blood circulation around  Superior rectus muscle, then tire and pain are gone, would it be correct?

Yes, the eye muscle that is activated when looking up is the superior rectus muscle. When this muscle contracts, it pulls the eye upward and also rotates it inward. This allows us to look up at objects above our line of sight, such as a bird in the sky or a tall building.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago
Would those 6 kinds of eye muscles only change the direction of eyeball?
When eye try to focus on object, what muscle would be used to change focus within eyeball?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
When eye try to focus on object, what muscle would be used to change focus within eyeball?

The ciliary muscle is what enables the eye to focus. It is a ring-shaped muscle located behind the iris, the colored part of the eye. When the ciliary muscle contracts, it changes the shape of the lens inside the eye, making it more curved and allowing the eye to focus on near objects. When the ciliary muscle relaxes, the lens becomes flatter, and the eye can focus on distant objects. I don't think this is what it causes the pain you're experiencing. Here's a good illustration:

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=13948
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Pain is located at the eyeball, Ciliary body is located in front of eyeball.
Both locations are different, ciliary body seems to be a muscle as well, for focusing on closed object for a period of time,
how to know on whether muscle in ciliary body get tire or not?
Can we feel pain within ciliary body for working too hard on closed objects?

High Intraocular pressure make ciliary muscle working harder to change shape.
I would like to know where the location of ciliary muscle is within eyeball.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
how to know on whether muscle in ciliary body get tire or not?
Can we feel pain within ciliary body for working too hard on closed objects?

That muscle does not have any pain receptors, so no pain should be felt.

If you become far-sighted as you age, it is an indicator that the muscle is tired.

oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago
When I see far objects, it becomes blur, does it mean that ciliary muscle cannot relax due to long-time contraction?

How to know on when ciliary muscle is getting tire? any eye exercise to improve ciliary muscle, if yes, once ciliary muscle gets back strength, then I should not need eyeglass.

wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
When I see far objects, it becomes blur, does it mean that ciliary muscle cannot relax due to long-time contraction?

From what I've read, it is combination of the ciliary muscles weakening and the lens becoming stiffer. When you read for too long or stare at an object for too long, for example, it tires the ciliary muscle.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
Aqueous humor is produced by the ciliary body and flows around the iris and out of the eye, passing through the trabecular meshwork and into Schlemm’s canal and the collector channels.

When ciliary muscles is weakening, Aqueous humor cannot pass through the trabecular meshwork and into Schlemm’s canal and the collector channels effectively, which cause high Intraocular pressure.
Would it be the root cause of high Intraocular pressure?

If yes, how to strength ciliary muscles?
Do you find any related articles?
Post Merge: [time]Mar  8, 2023 [/time]

Weaker ciliary muscles > high Intraocular pressure > harder to change eyeball's shape for focus

It seems to be the problem to look at closed objects for long period of time, correct?
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
Weaker ciliary muscles > high Intraocular pressure > harder to change eyeball's shape for focus

Yes and no.  The relationship between ciliary muscles and high intraocular pressure is complex and multifactorial. While the ciliary muscle is not directly responsible for regulating intraocular pressure, it does play a role in the production and drainage of the aqueous humor. When the ciliary muscle contracts, it can cause an increase in the production of aqueous humor, which can lead to an increase in intraocular pressure. Conversely, when the ciliary muscle relaxes, it can increase the outflow of aqueous humor, which can help to decrease intraocular pressure. Therefore, dysfunction of the ciliary muscle can contribute to the development of high intraocular pressure, but it is only one of many factors that can affect intraocular pressure. Other factors include genetics, age, race, and medical conditions such as diabetes and hypertension.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
when the ciliary muscle relaxes, it can increase the outflow of aqueous humor, which can help to decrease intraocular pressure.

During sleeping with closed eye, I still can feel high intraocular pressure within eyeball, so why does ciliary muscle not able to relaxes with closed eye and let aqueous humor to flow out?

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)

Referring to following articles, I think ciliary muscle is more likely DOMS, after a long period of contraction in front of PC screen, Ciliary muscle seems stiffen for not able to relax, which cause high intraocular pressure, would it be correct?

Thanks, to everyone very much for any suggestions (^v^)

Sore muscles after exercise

Feeling your muscles ache or stiffen for a few days after exercise is normal and is known as delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). It can affect people of all fitness levels, particularly after trying a new activity or pushing yourself a bit harder than usual.

Usually your muscles will stop aching in 2 to 5 days and you won't need any medical attention. You should be able to ease symptoms yourself.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/healthy-living/keeping-active/before-and-after-exercise/pain-and-injuries-after-exercise
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
A year ago
Hello again, sorry for the late reply!

During sleeping with closed eye, I still can feel high intraocular pressure within eyeball, so why does ciliary muscle not able to relaxes with closed eye and let aqueous humor to flow out?

The ciliary muscles relax in low light - eyes shut. They are designed to construct in light to prevent too much light from passing the lens, leading to retina damage. Thus, we don't know for sure that the pressure you are feeling is a result of the ciliary muscles not relaxing. As I mentioned in the post previous to your last one, the relationship between ciliary muscles and high intraocular pressure is complex and multifactorial.

Referring to following articles, I think ciliary muscle is more likely DOMS, after a long period of contraction in front of PC screen, Ciliary muscle seems stiffen for not able to relax, which cause high intraocular pressure, would it be correct?

Maybe the constriction by the ciliary body is irritating a pre-existing issue you're facing in your eye. Hence, I cannot confirm.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  928 People Browsing
Related Images