t
S
m
s
CarbonRobot CarbonRobot
wrote...
Rep: 8 0
A year ago
Do our human cells show less behavior indicating they are working towards organism goals versus cellular goals as we age? I know cancer completely sees itself as a separate being, but I am referring to aged cells that are still considered functional.
Read 179 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
Hi CarbonRobot,

Cells don't function like single celled organisms do. They function in teams, forming complex tissue, and we know that cells communicate with each other. Cells that don't are repaired, or marked for cell death.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Yeah, but doesn't their team work decrease with age? Clearly cells in general do everything less well with age, but does their intercellular communications get less good and the outcomes become less coordinated?
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3836174/

According to this article, there are 9 hallmark reasons for aging, and one of them is "altered intercellular communication", as stated:

These hallmarks are: genomic instability, telomere attrition, epigenetic alterations, loss of proteostasis, deregulated nutrient-sensing, mitochondrial dysfunction, cellular senescence, stem cell exhaustion, and altered intercellular communication.

As we age, the signaling environment of chemical messages across the whole body tends to become more inflammatory, inhibiting the immune system and potentially causing muscle wasting, bone loss and other harmful effects in a process known as inflammaging.

I highly recommend you read the section on "Altered Intercellular Communication" in the article link presented above; it discusses this idea of inflammaging a whole lot better.
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
Ok, so cellular communications are less good over time. But do those cells behave more for themselves and less for the organism, possibly because they are more communicationally isolated?
CarbonRobot Author
wrote...
A year ago
I assume there must be no choice? If a cell is getting fewer outside instructions it must act more for itself?
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
But do those cells behave more for themselves and less for the organism, possibly because they are more communicationally isolated?

I'm not sure how would that be determined. It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask, whether or not cells become selfish with age, but I'm wondering how that could possibly be measured/quantified. The lack of signaling isn't due to "selfishness", but as a result of multiple factors that relate to aging (as mentioned in earlier posts). Cells don't have a mind of their own to suddenly quit the team when things become strenuous (or at least I'm not familiar with that notion). At the macro level, this has been written about and theorized by biologist, which was the entire premise behind the book The Selfish Gene (1976). The book claims that complex organisms have evolved as "survival machines" for the preservation of their genes. However, I'm not sure this relates to individual cells within the organism as well.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1140 People Browsing
Related Images