r
d
l
a
Algaarve Algaarve
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
A year ago
Is there an occurrence in plants or microbes that causes a species to become sick and die from too much density?

I am new to Biology and found this forum.
Unfortunately I can not classify if there is such a thing as dying in plants due to too high density or further development.
Read 97 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
Hi, welcome.

Density is a measure of mass per volume. I don't see a correlation to what you're asking, whether density and death are related? Maybe you can elaborate further on your thinking
Algaarve Author
wrote...
A year ago
Forgive my imprecise questioning.

My question is: is there a regulation in a high population of an organism by diseases? for example in plants: is there a regulation in the overpopulation of a species by diseases? Or only by nutrient deficiency or light deficiency?
Anonymous
wrote...
A year ago
Plants are as susceptible to diseases as animals are, and it is not limited to nutrient/light deficiencies.

For example, bacteria-induced diseases cause things like soft rot, leaf spot, wilt of leaves and stems, etc. Fire blight, a disease of apple and pear trees, is historically interesting because it was the first plant disease in which a bacterium was shown to be the inciting agent. Infected trees exhibit a blackening of the flowers, leaves, and twigs, and the disease finally may involve the entire tree, causing serious damage and even death. Other examples include "citrus canker" - an Asian disease of the orange tree and its relatives.

You also have fungi-induced diseases in plants. A prominent disease of potatoes, called late blight, causes rots leaves, stems, and tubers to rot. A parasitic root fungus, Hemileia vastatrix, targets coffea species - one's responsible for giving us the coffee fruit.

Does that help answer your question?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1101 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 328