a
t
i
r
r
oemBiology oemBiology
wrote...
A year ago
I have a prescription for glasses with -3.00 diopters (300 degrees) for nearsightedness, but are able to see more clearly without glasses when looking at mobile phone.

Would it cause any eye strain and other vision problems for long term?

keep monitoring mobile phone without glass
    Wear glass before monitoring mobile phone

Which one is better?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Read 290 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
I have a prescription for glasses with -3.00 diopters (300 degrees) for nearsightedness, but are able to see more clearly without glasses when looking at mobile phone.

What happens when you wear your glasses while reading text on your mobile phone? Is it blurry, or is your vision corrected?
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago Edited: A year ago, oemBiology

What happens when you wear your glasses while reading text on your mobile phone? Is it blurry, or is your vision corrected?

Ciliary muscles control the shape of the lens to adjust the eye's focus on different objects.
When looking at a closed object, such as mobile phone, the ciliary muscles contract to increase the curvature of the lens, allowing the eye to focus on close distance, correct?
When looking at a distant object over 1 meter, the ciliary muscles relax to flatten the lens, allowing the eye to focus on distant object, correct?

Currently, my glass's degrees is 200 degrees, so I need to replace a new glass, whenever I use mobile phone, I need to remove my glass for closed object.

For glasses with -3.00 diopters (300 degrees) nearsightedness, optometrist suggests 3 different glasses as shown below

1) 300 degrees for mobile phone
2) 275 degrees for Notebook screen
3) 250 degrees for distant objects over 1  meter

If I select (2) 275 degrees for Notebook screen, which I spend most of time, so ciliary muscles would work less on contracting ciliary muscle on closed object.

For monitoring mobile phone without glass, contracting ciliary muscle for closed object, would it cause any eye strain and other vision problems for long term?

For distant object, I would get a blur image, since ciliary muscle do not able to flat the len enough (relaxing  ciliary muscle) for clear distant object, would it cause any eye strain and other vision problems for long term?

Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Ciliary muscles control the shape of the lens to adjust the eye's focus on different objects.
When looking at a closed object, such as mobile phone, the ciliary muscles contract to increase the curvature of the lens, allowing the eye to focus on close distance, correct?
When looking at a distant object over 1 meter, the ciliary muscles relax to flatten the lens, allowing the eye to focus on distant object, correct?

Yes, sure.

For monitoring mobile phone without glass, contracting ciliary muscle for closed object, would it cause any eye strain and other vision problems for long term?

For distant object, I would get a blur image, since ciliary muscle do not able to flat the len enough (relaxing  ciliary muscle) for clear distant object, would it cause any eye strain and other vision problems for long term?

Without the glasses, your eyes would be working as they normally would - no excessive eye strain would occur.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago
Without the glasses, your eyes would be working as they normally would - no excessive eye strain would occur.

When you focus on either closed or distant objects,  would ciliary muscles work extra hard under this situations? that would cause eye strain

oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago
There are so many misconception from optician.
For nearsighted, image can only reach in front of retina, not locate at retina, so image gets blur.
That is why we need to wear glass to bring image back to retina location for clear image.
With -3.00 diopters (300 degrees) nearsightedness, I should select 300 degree of lens in order to see clear image for distant object, but why do I get blur image for closed object? such as notebook screen.
optician suggests selecting less than 300 degrees of lens instead for looking at closed object,
I get no idea on who say the truth.

wrote...
Educator
A year ago Edited: A year ago, bio_man
When you focus on either closed or distant objects,  would ciliary muscles work extra hard under this situations? that would cause eye strain Do you have any suggestions? Thank you very much for any suggestions (^v^)

When focusing on a distant object, the ciliary muscles are relaxed, allowing the lens to flatten. When focusing on a nearby object, the ciliary muscles contract, causing the lens to become more rounded and increasing its refractive power. Thus, more energy is expended by the ciliary muscles when focusing on a nearby object than on a distant object. This is because the ciliary muscles have to work harder to contract and shape the lens to focus the light on the retina. However, the difference in energy expenditure isn't significantly more.

That is why we need to wear glass to bring image back to retina location for clear image. With -3.00 diopters (300 degrees) nearsightedness, I should select 300 degree of lens in order to see clear image for distant object, but why do I get blur image for closed object? such as notebook screen.

I think what you're describing here is "presbyopia". If you have presbyopia, your inflexible lens doesn't adjust to focus light properly, so the point of focus falls behind the retina. This makes close-up objects appear blurry.

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=30577
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago
I discussed with my optician for my case.
My current glass is -3.00 diopters (300 degrees) nearsightedness
He suggested that

For looking at distant object over 1 meter, -4.00 diopters len (400 degrees) nearsightedness is suitable
For looking at notebook screen, -2.50 diopters len (250 degrees) nearsightedness is suitable

so if I keep using my current glass with -3.00 diopters for notebook screen, then is should be 0.5 diopters difference, that is be ok.

My new glass should to be -4.00 diopters for distant object instead.

I need to check after receiving new glass next week for confirmation Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
A year ago
Okay, thanks for updating us. Please let us know if it ended up fixing your problem Slight Smile
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago
I discussed further with my optician today
My current nearsightedness is around -4.00 diopters (400 degrees)
He suggested that I should select -2.00 diopters (200 degrees) for watching my mobile phone.
but I mentioned that I can see my mobile phone clear around 30 cm without glass, and would like to know on whether this distance on watching mobile phone is safe for my eyes for long term or not, but he cannot answer this topic.

I don't feel my eye stressful or use any strength on focusing closed object (30 cm mobile phone).
I would like to know on whether my eye uses strength to focus on mobile phone or not.
Would this behavior cause any further nearsightedness for long term?

wrote...
Educator
A year ago
I don't feel my eye stressful or use any strength on focusing closed object (30 cm mobile phone). I would like to know on whether my eye uses strength to focus on mobile phone or not. Would this behavior cause any further nearsightedness for long term?

It's a hard question to answer because technically there is no definitive right answer to the question regarding the distance that is deemed safe or dangerous. I think you should rest your eyes from using a mobile device if you're feeling a strain; that's your eye's way of telling you that they've been overstimulated, and it's time for a rest. This sort of careful response will avoid eyesight complications in the long run.
oemBiology Author
wrote...
A year ago
Based on eye's structure, how does eye adjust muscle on watching mobile phone?
Is there any related articles talking about this issue in biological viewpoints?
I don't feel any eye strain on monitoring mobile phone with clear image without glass at 30 cm distance, but I don't know on how eye's structure works on this task for long term.

Do you find any related articles on this issue?
wrote...
Educator
A year ago Edited: A year ago, bio_man
Based on eye's structure, how does eye adjust muscle on watching mobile phone?

The same as it would any object (we've discussed this before) -- The ciliary muscle is a circular ring of muscle that attaches all the way around the lens. This ciliary muscle can change the shape of the crystalline lens by stretching it at the edges. That is in reference to the LENS; in reference to the IRIS, it is controlled by the autonomic nervous system, and it is the sphincter pupillae and the dilator pupillae muscles that open/close the iris to control bright and dim light entering the eye.

Sooner or later, the eye muscles will fatigue if overstrained, leading to discomfort. Beyond what we already know, what sort of articles do you have in mind?
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1395 People Browsing
 131 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274