s
r
d
l
a
Anonymous Veil
wrote...
10 months ago
Hello I am new to this forum. I am working as a data scientist. I was always interested in biology but unfortunately I had to take business computer science major due to family pressure. Now I want to convert my career to biology especially astrobiology.  To prove my knowledge in biology I thought of taking gre biology but I see it is discontinued now. Is there any similar biology exams that I can give a try? I couldn't find anything similar to gre biology.   What specialization should I study in biology in order to pursue astrobiology career?

Your advices would be very helpful for me.
Read 502 times
11 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
10 months ago
Hi

Astrobiology is a very specific field of biology. This specialization usually is offered as a masters degree once you've graduated from a bachelors in science. I think the closest thing to the GRE is the AP Biology Exam (https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-biology/exam). Why are you interested in astrobiology? What made you like it to begin with?
Veil Author
wrote...
10 months ago
Hi sorry I was unable to respond quick since I was busy.  I got interested in astrobiology since I picked up a book related to that and that subject fascinated me.  Is gre and ap biology similar in terms of syllabus as well?
Hi

Astrobiology is a very specific field of biology. This specialization usually is offered as a masters degree once you've graduated from a bachelors in science. I think the closest thing to the GRE is the AP Biology Exam (https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-biology/exam). Why are you interested in astrobiology? What made you like it to begin with?
wrote...
Educator
10 months ago
Yes, they're comparable. AP is more for North America, but biology is universally understood
Veil Author
wrote...
10 months ago
Thanks for the reply.  Since astrobiology is more interdisciplinary field, can i take these tests in varied subjects(physics, chemistry,) along with biology?  How long should I prepare for it?  Is there any specific course or online material available for ap courses? How should I start preparing for it?

Yes, they're comparable. AP is more for North America, but biology is universally understood
wrote...
Educator
10 months ago
Since astrobiology is more interdisciplinary field, can i take these tests in varied subjects(physics, chemistry,) along with biology?

If you're mainly interested in biology, then it won't be necessary to take those tests either. The AP test is hard enough to prepare for, let alone chemistry and physics. In fact, it would take a whole summer (and some) to really begin understanding this material.

I'd begin with a trip to the library. Check out a grade-12 textbook on biology and start reading it. This will provide you with a solid foundation of the subject matter. Take notes, highlight important concepts, and try to understand the main ideas and connections between different topics. Also, use our forum to ask questions that you find at the end of each chapter. There are also plenty of practice tests online (I can help you find those once you're ready); that's what I used to do to prepare for my university exams. I think the key to understanding biological concepts is by watching animations; this website is a treasure trove of great animations on a wide array of concepts (they also have a YouTube channel if you prefer). Remember that learning AP biology is a gradual process, so be patient with yourself and give yourself enough time to grasp the concepts.
Veil Author
wrote...
10 months ago
Thanks a lot for the advice!!! Slight Smile  I will start preparing right away.
Veil Author
wrote...
10 months ago
Hi it seems that there is an age limit to take ap exams.  My age is above 21 and it seems I can't take the exam. Is there any other options available?
wrote...
Educator
10 months ago
Hi it seems that there is an age limit to take ap exams. My age is above 21 and it seems I can't take the exam. Is there any other options available?

In that case it isn't necessary. At 21, you could apply to any program as a "mature student", as long as you have the high school credits they require. As a mature student, you would typically be evaluated based on your high school transcripts, college entrance exams (such as the SAT or ACT), letters of recommendation, personal statements, and other relevant experiences or qualifications. This all depends on the college you're interested in... If I were you, I would read up on their policies or contact their registrar's office.
Veil Author
wrote...
9 months ago
Is this applicable for masters as well? Because I'm trying for masters. To support my lack of biology background i enquired about writing some supporting exam.
wrote...
Educator
9 months ago
Hi again,

So you have an bachelor's degree already? You can't study for a masters without one...
Veil Author
wrote...
9 months ago
Oh okay.  That's bad news for me. 
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1093 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328