a
t
i
r
r
Ryn1001 Ryn1001
wrote...
13 years ago
I've been wondering about this, and I've noticed that sometimes if you hit a mosquito hard enough then you may look and see it splattered on the wall.

Therefore my question is this: If you swat a mosquito and it doesn't hit against another object, then will it die or live? Mosquitos are so tiny that when we hit them it's like hitting a feather, but I'm kinda wondering if that swatting will actually deliver a lethal blow (given enough time), due to internal damage.
Read 1083 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
To answer this question, we must look at the popular axiom: Newton's Third Law of Motion. This law states that whenever one object exerts a force on a second object, the second exerts an equal and opposite force on the first. So basically for every action, there is a reaction.

When you swat a fly in mid-air, the fly will die if the swatter surface hits the fly due to the initial force you exerted using your arm to swing the swatter. This is enough force to kill the insect (either damage its wings or whatever). Sometimes, however, you're mislead to think that the fly can survive these blows; this is because the wind generated by the surface area of the swatter moving through the air pushes the fly out of the way. Even a minute amount of air is enough to push the little insect out of the way from destruction.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1108 People Browsing
 101 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372