r
d
l
a
elidelo elidelo
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, elidelo
Alkaptonuria is an infrequent autosomal recessive condition. It is first noticed in newborns when the urine in their diapers turns black upon exposure to air. The condition is caused by the defective transport of the amino acid phenylalanine through the intestinal walls during digestion. About 4 people per 1000 are carriers of alkaptonuria.

Sara and James had never heard of alkaptonuria and were shocked to discover that their first child had the condition. Sara's sister Mary and her husband Frank are planning to have a family and are concerned about the possibility of alkaptonuria in one of their children.
The four adults (Sara, James, Mary, and Frank) seek information from a neighbor who is a retired physician.

The two couples each have babies and both babies have alkaptonuria.

Part C. The couples are worried that one of their grandchildren will inherit alkaptonuria.
What is the chance that a child with alkaptonuria will have an offspring with alkaptonuria if the child's mate has no family history?

part D. What is the chance that a child with alkaptonuria will have an offspring with alkaptonuria if the child's mate has a grandmother with alkaptonuria?
Post Merge: 9 years ago

update i solved part D…. i have answered part C but got them wrong my answers were 0.250, 0.500 and 0.000
Read 3142 times
6 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
EvaRLEvaRL
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free