r
d
l
a
nini07 nini07
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
 :PIs there any knid of birth control out there that doesnt cause weight gain and bad side effects?
I have used:
1. Depo Vera shot= gave me weight gain, bad mood swings, excessive menstration
2.Patch= rash @ site
3. Mirena= weight gain, mood swings, hair loss, acne, decreased sexual desire, severe abdominal cramps. Had to get it out 6 months after

I have not been on birth control for about 1 1/2 yrs now.
Read 1318 times
7 Replies
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE
Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
There is no type of birth control that does not give side-effects. :/ The reason is because birth control pills are inherently altering the body's natural responses.
wrote...
13 years ago
There is no type of birth control that does not give side-effects. :/ The reason is because birth control pills are inherently altering the body's natural responses.

Indeed that's true. Essentially you are altering the body's hormonal response to releasing a mature egg for procreation. I think most of the weight gain comes from regular fluid retention. Estrogen in high doses is known to cause weight gain especially that due to fluid retention. The more estrogen there is in a pill, the more tendency to gain weight such that a 50 mcgm pill will result in more weight gain than a 35 mcgm pill. The mechanism of action is probably direct stimulation by the estrogen in pills of kidney substances called renin-angiotensin that cause water retention. The water retention then causes sodium (salt) retention. A lower estrogen level pill, for example 20 mcgm, will help reduce weight gain due to fluid retention.

Using the lowest possible estrogen containing birth control pill should minimize weight gain and swelling from water retention. Current 20 mcgm pills which are the lowest estrogen doses available are:

Rightwards Arrow Alesse
Rightwards Arrow Levlite
Rightwards Arrow Loestrin-Fe
Rightwards Arrow Mircette
nini07 Author
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
do know which birth control is better?
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE
wrote...
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, biology101
do know which birth control is better?

According to clinical trials, triphasil does not cause significant weight gain, so that's probably your safest bet, but it varies from person to person.
bab
wrote...
13 years ago
According to clinical trials, triphasil does not cause significant weight gain, so that's probably your safest bet, but it varies from person to person.

I agree with biology101. Triphasil is your best bet, but just be cautious
nini07 Author
wrote...
Donated
13 years ago
I agree with biology101. Triphasil is your best bet, but just be cautious
By saying to be cautious what do you mean?
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE
wrote...
Valued Member
13 years ago
It really depends on the pill and the person taking it. There are lower dosage pills that still help prevent pregnancy, or work against acne if that's what you're using it for. The lower dosage lowers the intensity of symptoms or can get rid of them all together.

There are some people who will always experience symptoms from a bc pill or some people (like my friend) who get none whatsoever.
I'd say talk to your doctor about all the pills and the symptoms and maybe he can find a correlation between them and prescribe you something better.
- FluffyBunny<3
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1147 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Gallery

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586