r
d
l
a
SABRINAwang SABRINAwang
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
i am working on the subject, and now ,i want to analyze the purity of proteins and i want to get some examples. and my friend recommended a company-http://www.creative-proteomics.com for me. and i do not know if it is working well. so if someone knows this website and has some experience in this, please give me some words. and i will be very appreciated for your reply.
Read 493 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
If you are suspecting of the impurities from DNA and RNA, just check the absorabance at 260/280nm

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleic_acid_quantitation

Also you can run the agarose gel for nucleic acid contamination.

If you are suspecting other proteins may contaminate your protein product, say, from protein purification, just run the SDS-PAGE gel and stain the gel either with CBB or silver stain, depending on the amount of your proteins.

A pure protein is one that is free from any quantifiable amounts of impurities. Any purity determination is only as reliable as the analytical methods used, and factors such as the structural properties of the protein itself, the amount of protein available, the nature of potential contaminants in the sample, and the accuracy of the estimate required should always be considered when selecting the method of analysis.

Peptide content is not an indication of peptide purity; these are two measurements. Purity is determined by HPLC and indicates the presence/absence of contaminating peptides with undesired sequences. Net peptide content only gives information on the percent of total peptide versus total non-peptide components independently of the presence of multiple peptides. Net peptide content is accurately found by performing amino acid analysis or UV spectrophotometry. This information is important when calculating concentrations of peptide during sensitive experiments.

In reality, it may only be necessary to ensure the sample is free of contaminating products that may affect the application in question, and thus aspects of the process such as the intended use, the source of the protein, and the purification processes employed should all accordingly dictate the extent of analysis required.

Here, general protocols for the following methods of protein estimation and purity are described: ultraviolet (UV) protein absorption assays, the Bradford and Lowry assays, Macro- and Micro-BCA assays, ELISA, sodium dodecyl sulphate polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) and associated staining methods, western immuno blotting, and several formats for qIPCR.
Absorbance of protein samples at near-UV light at 280 nm depends largely on the presence of aromatic amino acids, in particular tryptophan and tyrosine. Absorption is affected by pH and ionic strength. In addition, strong interference from nucleic acids is a particular problem at this wavelength.

The Bradford Assay is based on the formation of a complex between Brilliant Blue G-250 and the proteins in a solution. The absorption maximum of the dye shifts from 465 to 595 nm when it complexes with protein and the amount of absorption observed is proportional to the quantity of protein present. This is a simple, rapid, inexpensive assay, which is compatible with reducing agents that are often used for the purposes of stabilizing proteins in solution. The Bradford assay is not suitable, however, if even low concentrations of detergents are present in the sample, and in that case the BCA protein determination procedure is to be recommended.
Source  http://www.creative-proteomics.com/Services/Purity-analysis-of-peptides-or-proteins.htm
wrote...
9 years ago
Check you purity of protein by measuring at absorbance 280nm and run a SDS PAGE than stain the gel with CBB for further checking of any impurities. In other words, SDS-PAGE followed by Silver staining. Silver staining helps in checking impurities of very very low concentrations (pg).
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1091 People Browsing
 134 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204