i
r
r
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
8 years ago
Hello everyone

How is mass spectrometry used in biomedical research?
As a technique, what is it applicable for? What does it identify?
Read 515 times
4 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Hello ehd123,

I found a few articles that were locked. These are the URLs, hopefully you can gain access to them:

http://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319060675
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/si/297826/cfp/

WikiPedia also has some enticing information:

Mass spectrometry has both qualitative and quantitative uses. These include identifying unknown compounds, determining the isotopic composition of elements in a molecule, and determining the structure of a compound by observing its fragmentation. Other uses include quantifying the amount of a compound in a sample or studying the fundamentals of gas phase ion chemistry (the chemistry of ions and neutrals in a vacuum). MS is now in very common use in analytical laboratories that study physical, chemical, or biological properties of a great variety of compounds.

As an analytical technique it possesses distinct advantages such as: Increased sensitivity over most other analytical techniques because the analyzer, as a mass-charge filter, reduces background interference, Excellent specificity from characteristic fragmentation patterns to identify unknowns or confirm the presence of suspected compounds, Information about molecular weight, Information about the isotopic abundance of elements, Temporally resolved chemical data.

A few of the disadvantages of the method is that often fails to distinguish between optical and geometrical isomers and the positions of substituent in o-, m- and p- positions in an aromatic ring. Also, its scope is limited in identifying hydrocarbons that produce similar fragmented ions.
Source  Under application > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_spectrometry
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
8 years ago
Thank you very much, bioman. Will try to access them as soon as possible.
Just to clarify, I could use mass spec to identify the compounds I may find in say serum or saliva right? I just need to use the proper antibody if I suspect a protein to be found?
Or  does it give me the entire range of compounds?
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
It shows the molecular weight, the percentage of what type of elements that exist in the molecule.

Also, I found a good animation Downwards Arrow

ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
8 years ago
Thank you so much. Very helpful Slight Smile
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1269 People Browsing
 117 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249